Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 9th, 2007 03:00

THE XPS 700 RESOLUTION THREAD

In anticipation of the long awaited resolution to the XPS 700/710 concerns that have been shared here on the Dell Community Forum, I have asked ChrisM to allow us to begin a new thread that has a NEW emphasis. ChrisM once again, has demonstrated a genuine care and respect for Dell’s customers by allowing the previous thread to reach the 1,500 threshold, and by sticking this new thread at the top for all to see. No one can deny, that Dell has not tried to “hide” the concerns and complaints of its customers, but instead has provided a forum for them to share and be heard.

Sometimes change can be a difficult process, and the cost to all can be significant. There are many here that have been posting since the beginning, when the first thread was stuck at the top last July 3rd, 2006. Eight months and nearly 14,000 posts later, we are beginning to see a light shining on the horizon of Dell’s renewed effort to give customers a much improved experience.

In many ways, what we as customers have been a part of, is potentially a trend that other corporations are going to have to take seriously. What Dell is doing for its customers is seldom, if ever, seen amongst large corporations. Truly listening to its customers and then responding in a humble and meaningful way, is something that most customers have only ‘wished’ for. It has taken some time, but in the end, Michael Dell, the newly announced CEO of Dell, took the initiative and responded directly to our ‘cry’ for an upgrade path for the XPS 700/710 computers.

Because so many Dell customers have had positive experiences in the past, the belief has always been kept alive that Dell would find a way to ensure that Dell’s foundational emphasis on a positive and personal customer experience would find renewed support corporate wide. As Dell works to provide future computer systems that the enthusiast and gamer can be proud to own, it is the hope of all that have shared here on the forum, that Dell’s willingness to turn their failures into a success, will be met with customer excitement.

A corporation’s success, in an ever increasingly competitive market, in the end will be tied to the corporation’s willingness to open its doors to customer input and involvement. From here we made a difference and had an impact that may very well be an important ingredient in a strong and influential corporation’s customer care revitalization. As Jim Collins writes in Good To Great, “All good-to-great companies began the process of finding a path to greatness by confronting the brutal facts of their current reality. It is impossible to make good decisions without infusing the entire process with an honest confrontation of the brutal facts. As a result, they emerged from adversity even stronger.”

May this thread be the beginning of a new chapter for Dell and the XPS 700/710 customers with Dell listening to the voice of its customers, and confronting those realities, so that each of us may experience Dell at its best; turning each reality into success, one by one. Thank you to each and every person that gave so much to make ours and future customers experience a richer one.

Let the posting begin!

Message Edited by gbakmars on 03-08-2007 11:59 PM

300 Posts

August 6th, 2007 16:00

Just got the 2407-HC 24 inch Dell monitor.  I'm already going blind :)  Need that new mobo soon to play some games on it properly.

1.9K Posts

August 6th, 2007 17:00

odenwalder wrote:
Prakash,

I changed my settings in my 2405 (older brother) so that in games like BF2 the aspect ration is fixed rather than wide screen to keep from getting dizzy. If you have not tried this may help.

Do you mean that you have black bars on the side?

I changed the settings to display BF2 at my native settings on my monitor.  Everything looks great.

300 Posts

August 6th, 2007 17:00

I don't think I can modify the aspect ratio on the montior when connected via DVI.  I have a xbox 360 connected to the monitor with the VGA cable and the menu panel allows me to select the aspect ratio's for that (aspect, 1:1 or fill); but no such selection/option can be made when connect with a dvi cable to the pc.

1.2K Posts

August 6th, 2007 18:00

Prakash - PG,

Yes I have small black bars down the side which keeps the game in its natural aspect ratio. BF2 is not natively designed for wide screen (shame on EA) so when played wide movement gets distorted speed wise especially at the edges.

Prakash,

You should be able to make this change via the Nvidia control Panel under Change Flat Panel Scaling if you so choose. Sounds like PG likes it it in full screen, but it makes me dizzy. Play with the options and see what works best for you. I use the 2nd option, "Use Nvidia scaling with fixed aspect ratio".

Regards - MichaelO

XPS700 - Black
E6700 1.4.1 Bios - OS XP MCE 2005
4GB DDR2 PC2-5300 @ 667 Mhz
24 in Dell 2405FPW
768 Mb EVGA 8800GTX
XFI Fatal1ty w/ Logitech Z-5450 5.1

1.9K Posts

August 6th, 2007 20:00

I just got my Q6700 from PCConnection today.  They say it was a price mistake, but sent it anyway.  I got it for $385 shipped.  Sorry, but it is priced over $600 now.  Now I am super PUMPED for the new mobo.  I really hope Dell has everything ready to go on Monday and can start shipping out kits ASAP. 

300 Posts

August 6th, 2007 21:00

Thanks odenwalder, I'll give that a shot for 4:3 standard definition games.  I hate it when standard def content is stretched widescreen it usually makes circular objects look like ovals.

That really is a steal PG.  I'm probably going to get the same cpu once the new mobo's ship out but at a higher cost :( (likely buy at newegg), might as well install the new chip while rebuilding this machine.

Message Edited by PrakashG on 08-06-2007 05:23 PM

2.3K Posts

August 6th, 2007 21:00

PG

THAT is good wonderful price man, good awesome job, I am happy for you budd.

Peace

pointguard1122 wrote:
I just got my Q6700 from PCConnection today.  They say it was a price mistake, but sent it anyway.  I got it for $385 shipped.  Sorry, but it is priced over $600 now.  Now I am super PUMPED for the new mobo.  I really hope Dell has everything ready to go on Monday and can start shipping out kits ASAP. 

635 Posts

August 7th, 2007 02:00

odenwalder wrote:
Prakash - PG,

Yes I have small black bars down the side which keeps the game in its natural aspect ratio. BF2 is not natively designed for wide screen (shame on EA) so when played wide movement gets distorted speed wise especially at the edges.

Regards - MichaelO

XPS700 - Black
24 in Dell 2405FPW
768 Mb EVGA 8800GTX

Hmm,

I run BF2 and BF2142 in Widescreen on my 2405FPW and it looks great.  No stretching or anything.  Not really sure if I did something to make it that way or not.

Bub

1.2K Posts

August 7th, 2007 10:00

Bub,

Its not so much that they are stretched as that things seem to move faster especially at the edges because the gane is spread over and area that it is not designed for. Try it at the different aspecy ratio sometime. It may make no difference for you, but it does to me. Could very well all be in my head. :smileyvery-happy:

Regards - MichaelO

XPS700 - Black
24 in Dell 2405FPW
768 Mb EVGA 8800GTX

635 Posts

August 7th, 2007 13:00

Ah,

Don't notice it myself, but as you said, could be our heads! :smileywink:

Later,

Bub

odenwalder wrote:
Bub,

Its not so much that they are stretched as that things seem to move faster especially at the edges because the gane is spread over and area that it is not designed for. Try it at the different aspecy ratio sometime. It may make no difference for you, but it does to me. Could very well all be in my head. :smileyvery-happy:

Regards - MichaelO

XPS700 - Black
24 in Dell 2405FPW
768 Mb EVGA 8800GTX

38 Posts

August 7th, 2007 14:00

Do you all think I should be safe.. I am going to back up my system via Ghost or some other tool.. then have them do the MB and chip upgrade.. then ghost the OS back on a reformated Raid 0 config?? Or should I reinstall the OS and everything from scratch.. which is a lot of work....

1.9K Posts

I don't notice anything either.  I love BF2 @ 2450x1600 widescreen.:smileysurprised:

38 Posts

Oh and thats Vista Ultimate..in case it matters..

1.9K Posts

August 7th, 2007 15:00

I would make sure you have everything backed up no matter what.  There are basically 2 issues when it comes to the upgrade.  First, if you are using a RAID array, you must make sure the new mobo is setup exactly the same.  I am not sure if this will work or not.  This is why I am not a big fan of RAID.  Second, Vista and XP use different methods to determine if you need to reinstall.  Vista assigns a value to each component.  If a component being replaced is very similar to the previous component and all else stays the same, you will not have to reinstall.  If you are making alot of changes, then you may have to.  We really will not know for sure until we get these mobos in our hands.  I am backing everything up onto my WHS. 

300 Posts

August 7th, 2007 15:00

Never hurts to do a backup, especially if you have a RAID setup.  I'd backup using ghost and go that route.
No Events found!