Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2011 05:00

USB Ports

I have an INSPIRON ONE 19 (Windows 7), which has 6 USB2 ports.

My device manager shows:

Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB Universal Host controller -27C8

Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB Universal Host controller -27C9

Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB Universal Host controller -27CA

Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB Universal Host controller -27CB

Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB2 Enhanced Host controller -27CC

USB Composite Device

USB Root Hub USB Root Hub

USB Root Hub USB Root Hub

USB Root Hub

My problem is that I have a Hauppagge TV USB stick which is USB2. However it sometimes appears within a USB1 controller. I can unplug it and plug it back into the same socket and it will appear in the USB2 controller - but not always. It doesn't seem to matter which socket I plug it into. (It works fine when it appears in the USB2 controller)

The only other USB devices are the mouse and keyboard which are in controller 27CB. Is there anyway I can get it to consistently use the USB2 controller?

(As an extra question, I tried to run the system analyzer as suggested in the FAQ. I get the message to install the PFYD scanner add-on at the top of the browser, but an immediate message "We are unable to find information about your system" Pressing OK on the message redirects the web page back and I don't get any chance to click to install the add-on. How is this supposed to work?)

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 10th, 2011 07:00

Since this apparently ONLY happens with one device and in different USB ports, I would suspect the device rather than the PC.

You have the "enhanced controller" listing and that defines the ports as USB 2.0.

If you want to profile your PC, the free Belarc Advisor is very good.  I like the free Speccy also.

3 Posts

February 10th, 2011 09:00

Thanks for the reply.  I've contacted Hauppauge and they are thinking it could be the device which unfortunately is out of any warranty.

I still find the whole USB thing confusing though.  If they are all USB2 ports, why are there standard controllers there? Does the device tell the computer whether it is USB1 or 2 and the computer allocates a port accordingly?  If so, why does this device connect to a USB1 port and then almost immediately I get the message that it will work better on a faster port?

I'd be grateful if anyone can explain how this all works, because although I am satisfied that it is likely to be the TV stick, I'd really like to understand what actually goes on.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 10th, 2011 12:00

You can basically forget about all the entries (they do note the devices are there) except the one that includes the "enhanced controller" which is a carry over from the old days when USB 2.0 came into existence.  Machines when 2.0 first started usually had both 1.1 and 2.0 ports and the "enhanced controller" was an option in the BIOS.  Up until very recently all PC's (and motherboards) came with all ports 2.0 but the "enhanced controller" was still needed to define them as 2.0. 

Now, USB 3.0 is starting to appear.  I don't have any info on what appears in the Device Manager listing for USB 3.0.

Read THIS FAQ on USB 2.0

3 Posts

February 11th, 2011 04:00

Thanks again - I think I understand it a lot better now.  The link to the FAQ was very useful as well.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 20th, 2011 07:00

Hi Jacqiarts,

Are you using the Dell support thing? Sorry but I cannot quite tell from your message. What is the model of your Dell?

6 Posts

September 7th, 2011 09:00

Workaround for the Analyze System link:

1. When you get the message "We are unable to find information about your system appears." press OK and you will be redirected to a new page.

2. Go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Security(tab) -> Press "Custom Level" button

3. In the Security Settings window scroll down near the end until you find "Scripting"

4. Under "Active Scripting" select Disable (radio button).

5. Press OK Apply Ok ... until you close Internet Options

6. Go Back one page and you'll get the option to allow the PFYD Scanner without that popup window "We are unable ..."

7. Once you allowed the execution of the scanner repeat steps 2 to 5 and enable activ scripting.

If it's still not working check under Tools -> Add-ons if Dell scanner is enabled.

No Events found!