Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 29th, 2008 16:00

USB port seems faulty or is it the mouse?

I've been having a bit of trouble with my mouse stalling and a message popping up saying "USB port not recognized". I switched my mouse to another port and it seems to be working, so I'm assuming the port is faulty. Since I've now run out of extra ports, can someone tell me how to fix the faulty port? Or, can I buy something like a multi-port extender, like a multi-outlet extension cord? Since I had to unplug something to mouse the mouse into that port, I'd really like to know if I can fix the broken port get some sort of new gadget that gives me extra ports.

Thanks for the advice.

I have a Dimension 5150 desktop, Windows XP, mechanical mouse with wire. Don't know about any other particulars.

I did try all the recommended procedures: Ran all the virus and spyware checks, uninstalled the mouse from the device manager, ran checkdisk, unplugged everything then turned off computer, replugged everything and restarted. Same problem kept happening with mouse, or rather, the computer stalled and I heard that bleep noise it makes when something doesn't work, plus the alert "USB port not recognized".

Seems like my problem isn't as repaired as I thought. I got the "USB not recognized" message again. How can one click on that message when the mouse doesn't work? It says to click for more information. grrrrr

When it stalls, I unplug it, plug it back in and it'll work for a while. Does this sound like a mouse problem or something else?

Any thoughts or suggestions, please?

Message Edited by AlexaK on 07-29-2008 01:06 PM
Message Edited by AlexaK on 07-29-2008 01:16 PM
Message Edited by AlexaK on 07-29-2008 01:17 PM
Message Edited by AlexaK on 07-29-2008 03:59 PM
Message Edited by AlexaK on 07-29-2008 04:00 PM

5.8K Posts

July 29th, 2008 18:00

Sounds like you need a USB hub.  They plug into a USB port and give you 4 (usually) more ports.  They are very cheap (around $10).

Peter

20 Posts

July 29th, 2008 18:00

Thanks for telling me about the hub.

I'm still having trouble with the mouse, so I'm thinking it could a problem with the mouse or something much more. This isn't fun.

Update:

It apparently was the mouse.  I bought a new one today and haven't had the problem anymore.

One oddity is when I plugged in the new mouse, my computer recognized the new hardware immediately and a box popped up to begin installation.  The kicker was to get the installation to work, I had to click "Next", rather impossible to do with a new mouse that hasn't yet been installed.  Clicking "Enter" and "N" didn't work, either.  So I plugged in the old mouse in its old port and used it to get the installation program to begin.

Guess who the manufacturer of the new mouse is?  Microsoft.  Now shouldn't they know better?  Supppose my old mouse had died completely instead of just being "faulty"?

Just thought someone else with a similar problem would like to know how I solved my dilemma.

Dimension 5150, Windows XP Service Pack 2

Message Edited by AlexaK on 07-30-2008 10:02 PM
No Events found!