Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 22nd, 2009 19:00

Updated Inspiron 530 Desktop to bios 1.0.18 Problem

I use the 530 as a HTPC.

I updated the bios to 1.0.18.

I have a visiontek hd 2600 video card (dual dvi) connected to 1) plasma via HDMI 2)lcd via VGA dvi adapter.  Onboard video is not used (bios set to pci  ex).

The computer cannot display if both plasma (hdmi) and lcd (vga) are connected.  It will not display if  plasma (hdmi) is connected alone.  It will only display/boot if lcd is connected alone. 

When i say it does not display-- It will not show initial inspiron boot page----just stays blank and will not load vista.

Everything was fine with 1.0.15.  Is there any way to flash bios to 1.0.15?  Currently, bios program will not flash old bios.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

HN

Vista Home Premium

Q6600, 4gb, 1tb

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 23rd, 2009 08:00

sorad,

What message appears when you run 1.0.15?

21 Posts

March 23rd, 2009 08:00

1.0.15 run this version, and give us a feedback.

4 Posts

March 23rd, 2009 12:00

I upgraded from 1.0.15 to 1.0.18.  1.0.15 was running fine.  No messages, no problems.  1.0.18 was a "recommended" upgrade i should not have performed.  The 1.0.15 bios upgrade will not let me revert to it from 1.0.18 (more updated bios).

Thanks for the replys.

HN

3 Posts

March 29th, 2009 01:00

HN, Did you get it resolved ?  I can confirm that I also tried the 1.0.18  I wanted to downgrade to 1.0.15 because it seems like Dell messed with the fan profiles and my system's fan noise seems to be much louder now, or it could be me, but it does seem more annoying.  Yea lets look for a 3rd party fan.  Anyway I tried to flash it back to 1.0.15 and it said something like 'you already have a new version. can't go back.'

Ok dumb idea, set it back to auto video.  And try HDMI.  Ok no dice? plug in LCD to the onboard vga, turn on, boot, then turn off the computer and switch the connection to HDMI on the 2600.  I'd probably yank the PCI-ex video card and put it back later to make the computer forget about it, but then again, it's not suppose to work that way.        

4 Posts

March 29th, 2009 08:00

Never got resolved.

Won't boot when connected to dvi/hdmi.

Guess I'll have to wait for new bios.

Oh yeah:  On the inspiron boot screen, the progress bar is red.  On my other dell, 530s, the bar is blue.  Does this mean something?

thanks.

3 Posts

March 30th, 2009 09:00

I have the 530 w/Q9300, with/a 9600GT.  There's no difference, it's a fixed splash screen that dell chooses.  Freezing on boot means that the computer hasn't even finishing processing the post stuff.  What I meant to say was that my system is set to PCI init.  And my monitor is plugged in the video card w/dvi.  So I think it's worth a try to set your system this way and try it.  and just leave it on PCI init. all the time even if you don't use it.  Probably adds .1 second to my boot while the 530 sorts things out.  My guess maybe 1.0.18 is searching for the onboard controller and can't find it for some odd reason? 

Otherwise it's a video bios/cpu bios conflict which Dell should fix.  To resolve my own complaint my video card could have been causing some of the noise.   

3 Posts

April 6th, 2009 07:00

The update to 1.0.18 didn't go well for me either.  The only way I found of getting back to the previous BIOS is:

Prepare a USB boot disk.  Copy the bios version you want to it (I used 1.0.16).  Plug the USB flash into the 530 and boot from it.  Run the BIOS upgrade and when it gets to extracting the .bin press CTRL-C.  This will leave you with the right files on USB drive.  Then run "AFU877 713D1P51.BIN BACKUP.BIN".  This will launch AWDFLASH and prompt you the rest of the way.

Thanks to DELL for treating everyone like an idiot and not providing a way to go back from a bad flash!  So much for a recommended update.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 6th, 2009 08:00

The USB Boot Instructions are Included in the Bios update notes.

Via the Title Run the BIOS update utility from DOS or DRMK environment (Non-Windows users)

Run the BIOS update utility from DOS or DRMK environment (Non-Windows users)

NOTE: You will need to provide a bootable DOS or DRMK USB Memory Key.
This executable file does not create the DOS or DRMK system files.

Copy the file 530_1016.EXE to a bootable USB Memory Key.

Boot from the USB Memory Key to the DOS or DRMK prompt.

Run the file by typing Y:\530_1016.EXE (where y is the drive letter where the executable is located).

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 6th, 2009 08:00

What site did you use to get USB Boot disk instructions?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 6th, 2009 09:00

The update to 1.0.18 didn't go well for me either.  The only way I found of getting back to the previous BIOS is:

Prepare a USB boot disk.  Copy the bios version you want to it (I used 1.0.16).  Plug the USB flash into the 530 and boot from it.  Run the BIOS upgrade and when it gets to extracting the .bin press CTRL-C.  This will leave you with the right files on USB drive. 

Then run "AFU877 713D1P51.BIN BACKUP.BIN". 

This will launch AWDFLASH and prompt you the rest of the way.

Thanks to DELL for treating everyone like an idiot and not providing a way to go back from a bad flash!  So much for a recommended update.

AFU877.EXE is award flash 8.77 but Its been updated

713D1P50.BIN  is version 1.0.15

AWDFLASH v Dell8.80 (05/17) (C)Phoenix Technologies Ltd. 2007 All Rights Reserved
 Usage:  AWDFLASH [FileName1] [FileName2] [/ [/ ...]]
      FileName1 : New BIOS Name For Flash Programming
      FileName2 : BIOS File For Backing-up the Original BIOS
      ?: Show Help Messages
   py: Program Flash Memory               pn: No Flash Programming
   sy: Backup Original BIOS To Disk File  sn: No Original BIOS Backup
   Sb: Skip BootBlock programming         Wb: Always Programming BootBlock
   cd: Clear DMI Data After Programming   cc: Clear CMOS Data After Programming
   cp: Clear PnP(ESCD) Data After Programming
   LD: Destroy CMOS Checksum And No System Halt For First Reboot
       After Programming
   QI: Qualify flash part number with source file
    E: Return to DOS After Programming     R: RESET System After Programming
  cks: Show update Binfile checksum  cksXXXX: Compare Binfile CheckSum with XXXX
 vgaXX: Change to VGA mode XX(Hex value). ch: Update HOLE.
    Hx: Only update the specified Hole(0~7). custid:xxxxxxxx
 NVMAC:XXXXXXXXXXXX                   NVGUID:XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
       Support nForce Input MAC,GUID Function,with "/wb" to update MAC and GUID.

Example: AWDFLASH 713D1P50.BIN /py/sn/nvmac:xxxxxxxxxxxx/wb

3 Posts

April 6th, 2009 09:00

Check the instructions for making a boot disk here: http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197

4 Posts

April 6th, 2009 23:00

Thanks. 

You Guys ROCK.

Now it works.  No probs.  Back to normal.

Should keep this thread as a sticky for the future.

Thanks again.

1 Message

April 11th, 2009 17:00

I just updated my Inspiron 530 (running on Windows Xp Professional) to the Bios 1.0.18 suggested on the Dell Web page. I have a big problem now: I can't Stand By, Hybernate nor Turn off  the Windows, it ALWAYS restarts. The only way to turn it off is by Logging Off first, and then turn off. Any idea what can I do?

3 Posts

April 12th, 2009 04:00

If it was working as expected before, I think your best option is to follow the instructions above and go back to a previous version of the BIOS.  Hopefully there will be a 1.0.19 at some point that will work (and maybe even unlock the raid support on the chipset - though I can understand if Dell factor the need to support this functionality into their product pricing).

Martin.

6 Posts

April 14th, 2009 10:00

msmyth72,

excellent workaround!!!!!!! 

my unit is back to version 1.0.5

to everyone having bios issues because dell puts out obvious untested updates......follow the instructions to a tee!!!

because i used version 1.0.5, my command looked like this:    AFU877 713D1P36.BIN BACKUP.BIN

so make sure you write down the correct .BIN file name.

thanks again to msnyth72!  it was very frustrating telling "india" my unit WAS working, but because of the download.....it stopped working.  all they cared about was reading the script and that because my unit was freshly out of warranty, i would need to pay 50 bucks to have the issue troubleshooted.

No Events found!