Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 30th, 2015 15:00

Upgrade RAM XPS 8500 RAID Nightmare

Purchased 32GB from crucial for my xps8500 16gb on a whim. Then I realized that Windows 7 Premium won't see more than 16GB so I bought and downloaded Windows 7 Professional. I kept getting blue screens trying to install Win7Pro. Looked like an issue with the SATA drivers. So, was able to switch from RAID to ACHI in the bios menu. Installed Win7Pro but now I had more ram but a useless 32GB ssd. Installed all the dell drivers I could but Intel Rapid Storage Technology refused to install. I was able to follow the instructions here to reformat the small SSD and create a hiberation partition on it http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19496495 then I realized that once you install Windows in one sata mode, in this case ACHI, you can't change easily to another mode ie RAID. I found a fix on Microsoft. (Microsoft Fix it 50470) Ran the FIX-IT, then was able to reboot and change back to SATA in Bios. The system hung at boot so I pressed CTRL-i to get to the RAID menu to disable the RAID cache. Windows loaded, finally able to install RST, configure it and got my SSD cache working again. Phew. Good luck.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 1st, 2015 14:00

Hi Waynaniamat,

Glad that worked.

No Events found!