Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 14th, 2011 07:00

Upgrading Studio 540

I bought a Studeio 540 about 1½ years ago.  I recently wanted to upgrade the video card (MSI GTS 450 Hawk) so I had to get a new PSU, stock one was 350, needed a 550 to power the card, so I went with a Corsair TX 750.

upon putting the PSU in my fans turned on, but nothing recieved power (keyboard, mouse, monitors) and about 30 seconds after boot 1 of my colling fans went out. 

After 2 weeks of forum hoping, frustrating tech support calls, many different tests on many different computers, and having dell replace my motherboard, the power supply still won't work on the computer.

I've concluded that the motherboard is the source of the problem as dell says that anything over 350 "will not power it because it is too much power." I've seen on these forums people putting the tx750 into the studio 540, but I can't have success with anything (I've tried other power supplies, one of them being a 550).

But to my point, I need to get a completely differnt motherboard that will support a tx750, the MSIGTS 450 Hawk, and the rest of the stock stuff that came with the studio 540. Do you guys have any suggestions on what I should get to replace the POS motherboard that dell sold to me?

Off topic

I bought the computer with full intention of upgrading the cideo card down the road. I called Dell to make sure I could and they said it was upgradable (the point of getting a desktop)

I believe it is horrile business practice to sell a desktop to someone FULLY KNOWING that it cannot be upgraded.

Final thoughts: Dell screwed me over. They have lost my respect and my business, I just need a new motherboard now to handle my current rig.

Thanks,

Jesse

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 14th, 2011 09:00

Whoever told you that a higher power capability power supply will not work is wrong.  The power supply wattage rating is the maxiumum that can be drawn from the supply but the PC's hardware will only use what it needs.  For example if the motherboard draws 100 watts total of power that is all it will draw from the power supply no matter what the rating of the power supply.  Same way with other components such as a Video Card, hard disk drive, etc.  Many have upgraded the power supply and other components such as video without problems.  It is "upgradable", just that you have run into problems. 

There are two motherboard power connections, the 24 pin and a 4 Pin Molex connection (12 v).  We have seen users inadvertantly miss the 4 pin connector.  Also, some newer power supplies have 4 pin Molex, some have a 6 pin and some have an 8 pin Molex and on the 6 or 8 pin you need to make sure you are using the correct plug connections.

Whether a non-Dell motherboard will fit and work is questionable.  Dell uses proprietary front panel connections on many models and the rear I/O panel will not match up with a non-Dell motherboard's I/O panel (on many models this is not interchangeable like a standard ATX case is).  Most that want to use a non-Dell motherboard also buy a standard ATX case to avoid all the potential hassles of trying to install a standard ATX motherboard in a Dell case.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

April 14th, 2011 18:00

I bought the computer with full intention of upgrading the cideo card down the road. I called Dell to make sure I could and they said it was upgradable (the point of getting a desktop)

I believe it is horrile business practice to sell a desktop to someone FULLY KNOWING that it cannot be upgraded.

Final thoughts: Dell screwed me over. They have lost my respect and my business, I just need a new motherboard now to handle my current rig.

It's upgradeable, but the power supply may have an issue. Also, have you upgraded the BIOS to the latest version?

I have a 540s and have used several video cards with it, none of them purchased from Dell.

2 Posts

April 15th, 2011 12:00

I did not miss any of the connectors on the power supply, the motherboard has a 4 pin and a 24 pin that need to be plugged into, neither of which were missed.

I tried the power supply on my friends dell (cannot remember specs but it is a studio) and it worked fine, booted the video card also.

Yes the BIOS has been updated to the latest version and the power supply does not have an issue (it has been tried in another computer).

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

April 15th, 2011 19:00

I did not miss any of the connectors on the power supply, the motherboard has a 4 pin and a 24 pin that need to be plugged into, neither of which were missed.

I tried the power supply on my friends dell (cannot remember specs but it is a studio) and it worked fine, booted the video card also.

Yes the BIOS has been updated to the latest version and the power supply does not have an issue (it has been tried in another computer).

I've had problems like that; in one case, my Antec Earthwatts 380 wouldn't work properly with a damaged CPU. I replaced the CPU and all was fine.

I'm not sure what else to suggest. Regarding a new mainboard, a standard socket 775 micro-ATX may work, if my 540s is any guidance. The 540s uses a TFX power supply, so I haven't tried the board with a higher wattage unit.

No Events found!