Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 11th, 2011 17:00

Uploading video footage to the XPS 8300

May 11th, 2011 18:00

Apologies for the gibberish earlier. PC would not insert text properly!  Like an earlier poster I have a major problem. Despite upgrading from a Dell Dimension 9150 to a Dell XPS 8300 to speed up  video editing I now find that my top end PC cannot upload video footage from my Canon camcorder (Legria HV40 Hi-Def / tape). The camcorder has DV/firewire and HDMI out ports but the PC has no firewire and only a HDMI output and an eSata port that my camera cannot talk to. I assumed when I bought it that despite having no firewire connection the HDMI would be an input card. Dell's support desk say there is no room to insert a firewire card, that the HDMI output  card cannot be swapped for an input card and that the only way I can connect my camcorder to the XPS  would be to buy (at $119 from a third party) a firewire/USB cable with a converter block in the middle - now discontinued by the manufacturer! Can anyone please advise how I can configure my set up to capture video footage in real time like I used to with firewire. Any wisdom would be delightfully received.

Thanks and kind regards,

Edward G

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 13th, 2011 07:00

Manuals - Documentation

From What I can see the board has 1 X16 video slot and 3 X1 PCI-E slots.

Have a need for speed- Get a PCI Express FireWire 800 (1394b) card for the same price as 1394a. The PEX1394B3 is built with a native PCI Express chipset and does not use a PCI Express bridge chip resulting in faster, reliable, and cost effective performance. With an unrivaled 800 Mbps data transfer capability, the two IEEE 1394b ports provide highly efficient, reliable communication. The card also provides a 400 Mbits/sec IEEE 1394a port for your older FireWire peripherals.The PEX1394B3 supports the most demanding IEEE 1394b peripherals like portable hard drives, DV camcorders, digital cameras and CD-RW/DVD-ROM drives. Creating your own high-speed laptop digital media center has never been easier.

Manufacturer Part# : PEX1394B3
Dell Part# : A2020875

3 Port 2b 1a 1394 PCI Express FireWire Card Adapter new
3 Port 2b 1a 1394 PCI Express FireWire Card Adapter
Have a need for speed- Get a PCI Express FireWire 800 (1394b) card for the same price as 1394a. The PEX1394B3 is built with a native PCI Express chipset and does not use a PCI Express bridge chip resulting in ... Full Description < ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>
Dell Price  $55.99
Add to Cart
Usually Ships: Within 24 Hours

Manufacturer Part# : PEX1394B3 | Dell Part# : A2020875

FireWire 3-Port PCI Express™ Card  Note that you need to connect a Floppy Power connector to the card for the 12v power on the 6 pins.  If you use a 6 pin to 4 pin 1394a cable then it may not matter.

16 Posts

May 14th, 2011 02:00

I think there are also USB to firewire adaptors but not sure how well they work, the card above would probably be the best bet.

1 Message

May 29th, 2011 08:00

I bought my new powerful 8300 specifically for video editing but like many others have found that there is no firewire connection.  All the slots at the back of the PC were full when delivered so I am unable to fit a firewire card there.

My camcorder has an IEEE1394 socket for downloading but without a firewire slot on my PC have considered using a cable with an IEEE1394 4 pin at one end for the camcorder & a USB 2 connector at the other to the PC. Will this work? The 8300 XPS has a Flex Bay on the front. Can this be used for a firewire card? Any other suggestions please or do I revert ot my old PC?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 2nd, 2011 07:00

3 Port 2b 1a 1394 PCI Express FireWire Card Adapter new
3 Port 2b 1a 1394 PCI Express FireWire Card Adapter
Have a need for speed- Get a PCI Express FireWire 800 (1394b) card for the same price as 1394a. The PEX1394B3 is built with a native PCI Express chipset and does not use a PCI Express bridge chip resulting in ... Full Description < ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>
Dell Price

Have a need for speed- Get a PCI Express FireWire 800 (1394b) card for the same price as 1394a. The PEX1394B3 is built with a native PCI Express chipset and does not use a PCI Express bridge chip resulting in faster, reliable, and cost effective performance. With an unrivaled 800 Mbps data transfer capability, the two IEEE 1394b ports provide highly efficient, reliable communication. The card also provides a 400 Mbits/sec IEEE 1394a port for your older FireWire peripherals.The PEX1394B3 supports the most demanding IEEE 1394b peripherals like portable hard drives, DV camcorders, digital cameras and CD-RW/DVD-ROM drives. Creating your own high-speed laptop digital media center has never been easier.

Manufacturer Part# : PEX1394B3
Dell Part# : A2020875

Low Profile Version is available if your dell is not a Tower Version.

StarTech.com
3 Port 2b 1a Low Profile 1394 PCI Express FireWire Card Adapter
Usually Ships Within 24 Hours
Manufacturer Part# PEX1394B3LP
Dell Part# A3482293
Form Factor: Plug-in card - low profile

3 Posts

June 8th, 2011 15:00

Hi Edward G

I am wondering if you ever managed to rectify this problem. I recently bought an XPS 8300 and could not believe that there was no Firewire port. I read in other 3rd party spec listings that there was one. I couldn't wait to get my hands on it - and spent extra bumping up the RAM so I would be able to cut through video footage. I have the camera ready - lots of editing to do - but how do I get the footage onto my new PC? I am absolutely lost!

I wondered if you'd had any replies that went beyond one word answers and whether you had found a solution? I am very close to sending the whole lot back...

Oh - I tried to install a PCI card but cant see where this would go. Elsewhere on this site someone mentions that Dell's technical people said it was not possible to install one. I wondered if you have tried any of the USB/Firewire converters and whether you'd had any luck there? They are available but I've heard mixed things from 'it simply wont work' to 'my PC didn't recognise it...' etc...

Thanks in advance! I hope you've had more luck than I have!

Col

3 Posts

June 8th, 2011 16:00

Thanks for the reply. Do let me know - and likewise, I will do the same via this forum.

Just a question:

I know you can buy external hard drives with firewire ports. Does this mean you can link the camera directly to the hard drive and transfer video directly to it via firewire? Or is the firewire port merely for the connection between the PC and external drive?

Thanks again

Col

3 Posts

June 16th, 2011 11:00

Runwell - did you find a solution?  I bought this computer solely to edit video!  

3 Posts

June 16th, 2011 11:00

Chowarth - any luck getting this to work?

3 Posts

June 16th, 2011 14:00

Thanks.  I just sent my Dell back.  Going to find a computer that can recognize my Canon camcorder before I buy.  Maybe a Mac.  

3 Posts

June 16th, 2011 15:00

Good idea. I have left mine a bit late. They have told me I cant return my Dell because I have had it for too long - ie over 7 days. I have an old G4 Mac and wish I'd just bought a newer model now. The Mac Book is meant to be great! Good luck!

No Events found!