Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2011 17:00

Very Disappointed and disheartened - XPS 8300

I purchased the XPS 8300 in January and spent numerous hours throughout numerous weeks setting up my new computer.  This included multiple days just to set up outlook for my e-mail account.  Just to be clear, I paid extra to have al of the software I needed downloaded on the computer before it was sent to me because I do not have the time nor the expertise to address all of the 'issues' that crop up.  I was fine with that. Then a part from intel had to be replaced because it was faulty and again I was fine with that; even though I had to take time off of work to have that addressed. Two weeks ago I finally finished the transfer of all my data to the XPS 8300.  Last week the hard drive needed to be replaced.  That replacement happened today and I have now lost all the data and settings that I worked on since January.  From Pictures to access to my e-mail account, audio books to e-books, and even just placing the dell bar back on the main screen. 

I am not hardware savy and had no idea that this would happen since this did not happen when they came and replaced the other part. The only saving grace is that the tech had the foresight to leave the old harddrive with me (p.s. great customer service).  So I called Dell Tech Support to ask for support and was told to go pay a 3rdparty to retrieve my data and no Dell would not reimburse my expenses and since I did not buy a software warranty (huh?) they could not help me reset up the computer.  I had to ask multple times to talk to a supervisor before I was transferred. The supervisor told me the same thing, repeatedly. I  indicated "you have told me everything you can't do and what I should have done; how can you help?"   I asked to talk to another supervisor and was told no. I asked to talk to the division that helped me when I purchased this computer and was told no. (p.s. I am in tears at this point).  I asked for information on how to file a grievance and the supervisor who is now speaking to me in a VERY loud voice says he is taking the grievance right now on my behalf which clearly I have not comfort level with this. AND of course the coup de grace - rather than transfer me to anyone that could help me he hangs up!

This final incident makes me sick .  Apparently as a customer I must be understanding of all my time that addressing Dell warranty issues has taken me but addressing the fallout of those warrantly issues is not a Dell issue.  When did customer service become about ways not to help a loyal customer?  Is there anyone at Dell that can help me?

4 Posts

June 3rd, 2011 17:00

P.S. How do I get to file a grievance?

371 Posts

June 3rd, 2011 18:00

OK so I know this is not he answer you're going to want to hear but, backing up your data is your responsibility for just this sort of event.

Hard drives have moving parts and everything with moving parts eventually fails. It's not a question of if, only when. Usually they last for years but like any electronic device can fail at any time. That's what the warranty is for. You got the defective part replaced which is the end of Dells (or any other computer manufacturers) responsibility.

Most of us that have been doing this for a while use imaging programs to keep a current copy of our entire hard drive(s) and can be up and running again without data loss in a few minutes in the event of a hard drive failure. More than a few of us I imagine learned to do this the hard way as you just have.

If your old hard drive has physically failed there is nothing Dell can do for you anyway. There are companies that specialize in data retrieval but the cost is prohibitive. We're talking thousands of dollars in some cases.

You can file grievances till you're blue in the face but that's the answer you're going to get. It's too bad that you've had poor luck with this computer but it happens. Learn from the experience and don't let it tear you up.

D

4 Posts

June 3rd, 2011 19:00

Thanks for the input and your right hindsight is 20/20 but you would think one of the ‘experts’ I spoke with would have mentioned I would lose all of my data so I could schedule the hard drive switch (it had not crashed)after I had adequate time to do a current backup?  Guess I should have known that as well..  My grievance is with the treatment: being hung up, refusing me an option of speaking to someone else, being yelled at, even not providing assistance in replacing the ‘Dell Bar” on my primary screen, I cannot fathom that this is what the corporate office considers good customer service if it is…and it was a tricky decision this time (Dell customer loyalty won out), Apple here I come with my next computer purchases to go with my ipad, ipod, and iphone.  Does anyone know where/ how to file a grievance?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 4th, 2011 05:00

Hi sjds,

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Especially with a brand new system. Has Dell replaced your hard drive yet?

4 Posts

June 4th, 2011 12:00

Yes that occurred yesterday.  The tech was great and a gentleman fro dell called to check-up on the repair before I had even had time to reload the software that came on the computer and he told me and sent and e-mail saying to call if I had any questions or issues. So that is what happened when I did.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 4th, 2011 13:00

Ok, that's excellent. Please do let us know should any further issues occur.

9 Posts

October 31st, 2013 17:00

Hi SJDS

I also purchased an XPS8300, I had  a couple dells before this PC, the last Dell ran 8 years with minimal issues, This xps8300 is less than 2 years (out of warranty) I have had mother board-NIC card issue, issues with anti virus mot letting me get connections, and now, ongoing RAM, BSOD, lock ups on boot ups. I am feeling next purchase will not be a DELL! very unsatified with this machine, I bought previous Dell's, cheaper models, with no issues. I bought this new higher priced machine for son for school, he is to the point where he wont even use it it.....

SO much for great product/service

No Events found!