Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

November 15th, 2004 19:00

Video Cards not working.. 1 long beep and 2 short ones

Hi , i have a Dimension 2300 and it was working fine after i added a new Ati video card. Afterawhile i had to format and reinstall everything and now when i go to turn on the cpu i get one long beep and 2 shorts ones which i think means theres a video error and nothing comes up on my screen. I tried connecting my monitor to the onboard and the ati but neither work. Is there anything i can do? maybe i touched something in the cmos that i wasnt suspoed to or jumpers on the motherboard
Any ideas? 
Thanks

Nick

1.3K Posts

November 16th, 2004 00:00

Remove the graphics card, see if the system will work in its original configuration. You may need to reinstall the original drivers, then reinstall the ATI card.

4 Posts

November 17th, 2004 13:00

yea ive tried that but the onboard card still doesnt want to work.

3 Posts

June 13th, 2012 10:00

I have A similar problem. After updating flash BIOS, the systems starts the reboot and gets stuck in  blank screen for about 1 hour. I get a power outage. when power is reinstated, I try booting the computer and all I get is this 1 Long beep and 2 short ones.

Following the forum, I have tried many solutions, from removing CMOS for at least 1 hour  to changing memories. Every-time I restart I get exactly the same problem.

June 13th, 2012 15:00

Hi MANALEX,

Welcome to the community,

As per the symptoms that you’ve mentioned above, power outage may have caused this problem. Dell uses beep codes as diagnostic indicators in most of its systems. 1 long beep & 2 short beeps ideally mean “Memory is detected, but a memory failure has occurred.”

To help us identify the system specific error reporting, please provide the system model no & the BIOS version that you have flashed.

You can also find out the error code/beep codes, on manual of your system on support site. Click on the below link & enter the system model/service tag:

support.dell.com/.../manuals

Depending on the no of RAM modules installed in the system, I would suggest you to try reseating the modules. If that doesn’t work & if there are more than one RAM module is installed in the system, try to boot the system using one RAM module only. Similarly, try to use other RAM slots with a known good RAM module to find out whether it is a RAM or slot failure.

If it is a RAM failure, you can purchase new RAM for your system. If it is an issue with the slot, you may have to replace the motherboard.

Best of luck!

Please post back if you need any help.

PS: I hope The_Tank was able to find a solution for his PC issue as it is a very old post.

3 Posts

June 13th, 2012 16:00

Helllo Jorawar,

I have reseated the ram modules, I have tried booting with one ram module but the problem persists.

Some more information as requested:

Studio 1747 System BIOS (version A14)

Reg Model: P02E

Thanks for your tips.

June 14th, 2012 15:00

Hi MANALEX,

3 beeps in your system means possible motherboard failure/Chipset error. If your system is covered with Dell extended hardware warranty, Dell can replace the required parts to fix the issue. Click on the below link & enter the service tag to check the warranty status of your system:

www.dell.com/.../Index

If the unit warranty has expired, you may have to contact Dell Out of warranty repairs dept. @ Dell 1-800-288-4410 for repairs.

Alternatively, if you are comfortable replacing the motherboard yourself, you can also purchase the motherboard from Dell spare parts sales team by contacting 1800-372-3355.

Please post back if you need any help.

3 Posts

July 14th, 2012 16:00

Bad News,

I have replaced the Motherboard with a new one. The computer still fails to boot and All I get are three short beeps (Beep-Beep-Beep).  Please somebody help. This Laptop cost me a fortune.

No Events found!