Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2008 18:00

Vostro 200s Lag in gaming

Hi there,

I recently got a vostro 200s with an E6550 processor and 4GB ram for the sole purpose of gaming. I have found that my pc lags very badly while gaming, the pc fan runs as if it were to fly away. I do not have any programs running, except for Mcafee antivirus, as the pc itself is onlya few days old.

Any suggestions as to why this might be happening, and whether if I should have the pc looked at?

Many thanks

2K Posts

January 8th, 2008 19:00

The noisy fan indicates something is wrong.  Since this happened out of the box:

Option 1, call Customer Service and request a return for refund.  Emphasize that it is defective or they will charge you 15% plus shipping.  Then with the refund you can order another one.

Option 2, call Tech Support and let them send you replacement parts until they figure out what is wrong.

If it were me, I'd go with option 1.  Option 2 can take weeks and many calls.

53 Posts

January 9th, 2008 05:00

If the fans run all time, it could be the "loud fan" bug in a recent BIOS. Please try to update to BIOS v1.0.10 (21th December 2007) which would solve this issue in case it's it.

If the fans run "just" loud in the game, then very probably the CPU's has got heavy load, gets hot and so the fans have to cool it. With the Vostro this can lead to different fan speeds: the more CPU load there is, the louder the fans get by the time.
Depending on the game I'd say. Several games use much CPU time, naturally.

What's concerning the lags, this is difficult. Does it occur with all games or just with some? Does it happen all the time, or just sometimes?
Usually it depends most on the Internet connection, on the speed of the game servers, on the other players, on potential background tasks running on your Vostro, etc. Have you got up to date chipset, network and video drivers?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 9th, 2008 12:00

The 200S aka SMALL box is not a tower and has no Video card.
INTEL Graphics WILL LAG in games.

53 Posts

January 9th, 2008 12:00

There are Vostro Slim Tower models with onboard (Intel) graphic cards, and there are models with PCI-e graphics card.

I've got a model with PCI-e graphics card, DVI connector only, and there's no other video adapter connector on the rear. There's no mention of an internal graphics card in the BIOS. I don't know if my Vostro has got an internal graphics adapter at all (but I needn't it anyay).
The few games I tested run with no LAG. They're not the most hardware demanding games, however, just "normal" (3d) ones. For hardware consuming "monster" games my ATI X1300 would be too slow, I'm afraid.

Which Vostro model (ie with or without PCI-e graphics) does Metoclapromite have got?

In case you want to use the Vostro for gaming, I'd recommend an PCI-e graphics card.

Message Edited by Richardus on 01-09-2008 03:39 PM

January 9th, 2008 18:00

Hi all, many thanks for the replies.

The lag occurs during gaming, but NOT on the internet: A skirmish solo game on the pc. The game concerned is command and conquer generals and the solo game was a 6 player game with me and 5 AI computer characters. I did not experience it thereafter. I was not playing on the internet at this moment. The fan starts as soon as the game starts, literally after double clicking the icon and right after the dvd begins to run, the fan starts. It is slow at first and gradually rises.

Richardus, the Dell rep had added a ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT for the video card. The processors are E6550 @2.33 GHz. Sound as stated in Device manager is Legacy. Chipset is Intel G33/G31/P35 Chipset Express. I had thought that these would be more than enough, since the game itself is over 5 years old, and the spec requirments are comparatively very small. 

I am kind of concerned now, as SpeedStep said that intel graphics will lag due to the pc's design.
I will enquire with dell. Many thanks for replies again

693 Posts

January 9th, 2008 19:00

If a video card was added, you're not using the Intel integrated graphics and should be fine. Intel Processors are good. Intel Graphics are not (for gaming, anyway). Keep in mind that the Radeon HD 2400XT isn't a high end card, but it, and the rest of your system, should be playing that game easily.

44 Posts

March 27th, 2008 14:00

I just purchased a Vostro 200S, and plan on adding a card.  This appears to be the one that is the Dell option:  http://www.jronsite.com/productcart/pc/Sapphire-ATI-Radeon-HD2400XT-256MB-DVI-HDCP-PCI-Express-Video-Card-69577-737p6134.htm  Right?

I don't plan on using it for Games, but use it a lot for Photoshop editing, and CAD viewing software.  Is it worth upgrading the onboard graphics if I don't play games?

No Events found!