Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 17th, 2009 14:00

WHEN WILL WINDOWS 7 DRIVERS BE AVAILABLE 4 DELL XPS 630I?

WHEN WILL WINDOWS 7 DRIVERS BE AVAILABLE 4 DELL XPS 630I?

14.4K Posts

Possibly never as the system is out of production. If they decide to provide them it may not be until after the 22nd.

940 Posts

It is still available for sale on Dells site, it is just not a featured item and you have to search for it now So if it is still there in 5 days it should be available with Windows 7. Also if you purchased one today it would include the free windows 7 upgrade so they will have to provide the drivers. I purchased one for my daughter about 2 months ago and it came with the free upgrade and we will be very upset if they do not realese the drivers.. LINK 

202 Posts

THANKS, I AM CURRENTLY USING DEVICE DRIVERS FROM NVIDIA.COM, CREATIVE.COM. AND REALTEK.COM.TW.

940 Posts

October 17th, 2009 15:00

I had a 630i that I returned and then bought a 730x for myself. The first thing that I did with the 630i was replace the HDD and installed Windows 7 RC 64bit with the it connected to the network and it went out and found almost all of the needed drivers as part of the install. The 2 that it did not install I just used the Vist 64 drivers and it was fine. My daughter wants to wait until she gets the disk from Dell to upgrade her 630i to Windows 7. I am waiting for my disk to upgrade my 730x.

I am hoping that Dell will include a Driver CD with all of the Windows 7 drivers for our systems when they ship Windows 7 to us.

14.4K Posts

October 17th, 2009 15:00

thanks for the link. I was under the impression that Dell had put this system to bed. Now that i think about it I seem to recall that they did the same thing with the Vista drivers for this system when it was first released. Took months after the shipped systems with Vista loaded before the drivers appeared on the web.

Another guess is there is not much difference between the Vista drivers for them to re write them for 7.

202 Posts

October 17th, 2009 20:00

The DELL XPS 630I That I Have Is Over 1 Year Old, The Reason Why I Was Asking This Question, Is That I Ordered A X64 Windows 7 Ultimate Edition OEM Disk From ZipZoomFly.Com, And They Shipped The Disk On Wednesday October 14th, 2009, And It Arrived At My House On Thursday, October 15th, 2009 (In Other Words, "They Shipped It Early)!

213 Posts

November 18th, 2009 21:00

I upgraded to Win7 x64, did a custom build so it installed new, not over the top of Vista x64. Haven't had an issue, despite claims in other forums.

The Dell Wireless 1505 WLAN PCIe card bought a while back installed lickity-split just like the RC builds. Think it was connected before the internal NIC was! Installed all the MS drivers, and it's fully functional. Somehow the Creative X-Fi software update came up, but it failed to install (as usual), but the sound is better than with the Creative junk in there, and no WMD crashes  like in Vista x64 with their crummy drivers. Of course I have to give up all the fancy settings, but Creative kept stating their Sound Xtreme was never compatible with Vista - so why do I expect them to have Win7 drivers?

Did install the Dell Vista x64 ESA drivers, and checked for updates, everything is hunky-dory. This upgrade was by far more flawless than the Vista x64 ever was. Dell might of left the drivers up to other companies and Microsoft. There are som e differences in Win7 verses Vista x64, as far as behavior.

1) No more animated network icon in the system tray. Just a static four-bar icon that looks like a wireless indicator. Doesn't seem to do anything, hovering with mouse shows what it is connected to. - In my case, I installed the software for the wifi card that Dell supplied, and it tells me more about my network. Also added two network gadgets for the two connections I have, shows more than what I need to know. Rather have the animated icon back in the system tray
  Gadgets also can be placed anywhere on the desktop.

2) Libraries, associate a folder to them, things are nearly as good.

3) Adding a quick-launch bar isn't too bad, and I have two; left and small icons for my short cuts, and one on the right (near the system tray) for my custom library.
  http://www.howtogeek.com/tag/windows-7/ has a few good ideas, used theirs to refresh my memory on a few items like Copy To/Move To, and Quick Launch .
  (I apologize, for some reason the hyperlink tool in the forum won't respond.)

4) The Microsoft Bluetooth install works a lot better than the Vista version on the Dell site. The Dell version errors out to Bluetooth Stack Error, and I just uninstalled it and went with the Microsoft version one, it  seems to work fine even though the only bluetooth item I have is a cell phone. The Motorola RAZR was found, and the software wanted to install the cell phone as a bluetooth modem. (!)

5) And lastly, the card slot reader does not show the static drive letters in Windows Explorer, like it did with Vista. The System Information gadget shows K, L, M, & N and being (null) and the built-in Drive Manager shows the locations of the drives too, just won't display in windows explorer.

Wished was a way to change the BIOS setting to allow for a x16 PCIe lane rather than the x8, as according the the chipset it is supposed to support x16 on a single video card. Wished I would of waited just one more week before ordering, could of had two OEM 9800 GT video cards and be in SLi mode now. Can't afford any upgrades till I find work again.

No Events found!