Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

June 16th, 2007 23:00

What GPU can I use on my E520 without having to change the 305W PSU.

I'm thinking of getting a SAPPHIRE 100176L Radeon X1950PRO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card but I'm not sure my PSU can handle it. Does anyone know?

140 Posts

June 21st, 2007 22:00

If you do a search of this forum you'll find about 100 answers to your question, if not more.  This is brought up almost every other week. 

To answer your question briefly though, I think the stock PSU in the E520 would be able to handle the mentioned video card.  However, it depends on how many other upgrades your system has among other issues.  I have the 512MB version of the Sapphire X1950 Pro in my E520, but I upgraded my PSU by choice. 

Check out this site:
It will help you calculate the maxium watts put out by your system in a particular configuration.  Additionally, IIRC the Sapphire X1950 Pro cards recommend a PSU that has 30 amps continuous power (Amps are another aspect of power consumption).  I do not think the Dell stock PSU is rated for that, however I believe there are users who are running that card with the stock PSU, and not having major problems.
No Events found!