Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Y

June 20th, 2009 05:00

What causes the black screen at start up with new FreeAgent External Hard Drive?

Description

: At start up the following wording appears on the black screen: No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry reboot, F2 for set up utility, Press F5 to run on board diagnostics. I disconnected the new FreeAgent EHD, rebootted, and was able to sign-in. Please help!
Thank you,
Joel T. Yerby P. E.

P. S. I'm not sure if this is the proper community for this question? If not, please offer suggestions as to which one I should use! Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 20th, 2009 06:00

If you have a Desktop then this is the right section.  Always include your PC model number and Operating System with ANY initial problem post.  We can give you specific assistance relative to your PC model without this. 

Also is this a USB or eSATA connected device?

51 Posts

July 11th, 2009 18:00

My PC is an Inspiron 1720 and the OS is Windows Vista Home Premium. It is a USB connected device. Hope this helps. Thank you.

51 Posts

July 11th, 2009 18:00

The OS is 32 bit.

July 11th, 2009 20:00

Usually One needs to check their system bios for the boot device order, and ensure that the internal hard drive is first. On some systems a Bios and chipset Update are useful. 

No Events found!