Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2008 08:00

What do the Fixes/Enhancements mean?

It's not a problem I'm going to talk about, but a general question.

Fortunately from time to time there's a new BIOS for our nice DELL PCs (I use a Vostro). I always read with interest the readme file. However, usually I don't exactly know what it says (I'm a programmer, but no hardware expert unfortunately).

For example the new BIOS 1.0.15 (and also in 1.0.11 ) it says:

Dell Vostro Desktop 200 System BIOS

15/07/2008
 Version:    1.0.15   
 Fixes/Enhancements:
 1. Updated Intel microcode.

What does this mean and what has been updated? Can we users see the "fixes/enhancement" in some way?

What did this mean for 1.0.14 :
 Fixes/Enhancements:
 1. Fan curve parameters update. 

Do we hear a difference in the fan rotation speed?

Thanks.

Message Edited by Richardus on 07-22-2008 11:15 AM

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 22nd, 2008 09:00

First, as a programmer, you should know the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" applies to BIOS updates, since a failed BIOS update/corruption means you will have to replace the motherboard. 

The "fixes" may or may not apply specifically to your PC, depending on whether it's having the problem that is "fixed".  Enhancements are improvements in the way something works and it's optional on whether any specific PC "needs" that enhancement. 

Many times the fixes/enhancements don't really go into the meat of what is being done and MAY only apply to certain hardware configurations or if someone has optional hardware.

I guess I talked around in circles, and it's going to be up to you whether you install the updated BIOS.  (I can associate with you as I once worked as a Programmer at NASA and realize that not all programmers are also hardware oriented). 

53 Posts

July 23rd, 2008 14:00

Fireberd, thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure about the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" IT motto in today's times which changes too quickly. Especially concerning low level software like BIOS and hardware drivers in general.

Unfortunately, in my long computer career I oftenly experienced that new PC models just run really well after a 2nd or 3rd or even later BIOS update, let alone low level drivers update.

I've to add it's my first Dell (a Vostro) however, so I don't know if this sad motto ("update the BIOS as soon as possible") also applies to Dell PCs. I'm very pleased with the machine, after about one year of usage.

"A failed BIOS update/corruption means you will have to replace the motherboard." 
Or replace the CMOS battery?
Does both things fall into warranty?

Does any reader know more details about the mentioned BIOS updates?
I'm very interested in learning what "Intel microcode" they updated, for example, or what a "Fan curve parameters update" does. :-)

Message Edited by Richardus on 07-23-2008 05:25 PM

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 24th, 2008 09:00

I have been in computers since "before PC's" and it's always been don't update it unless it's something that is needed.  I've worked with 286/386/486 CPU PC's, IBM PS/2's, etc,  in a large LAN/WAN Network and at a large federal government hardware help desk and we never automatically updated the BIOS or anything else, unless it was applicable to our specific environment and/or fixed a problem we were having.  At the time we were  using Novell Netware and it was the same with Novell updates (I used to have a Novell CNE certification).

A corrupted BIOS means replacing the motherboard, replacing the battery will not do anything for the corrupted BIOS on a Dell.  Also, remember Dell uses custom OEM motherboards, they may have an Intel chipset on the motherboard but they are not standard "Retail" motherboards, they are custom boards made just for Dell to their spec's.  I have a Retail Intel motherboard on a home built PC and Intel has a recovery routine that can be run to recover from a failed/corrupted BIOS update, but there's nothing like that available for Dell's. 

No Events found!