Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 1st, 2000 07:00

What is Encompass/Connect Direct?

I've got a 1 1/2 year old Dell PII450 WIN 98 which has this program installed and I'm curious what it does. I'm thinking of removing it (long story) but wonder what the implications might be. ( I do have uninstall instructions) Thanks.

1.1K Posts

July 1st, 2000 12:00

Hi,

Unless your ISP is Dellnet, go ahead and uninstall the program using the uninstall instructions from Dell's Knowledge Base. The program is useless to you otherwise. If you choose to uninstall, make certain ahead of time that it does load into startup for you--go to Start | Run | enter msconfig in the field and OK the run. Choose the Startup tab. If there is a reference on this list of programs to Encompass/Connect Direct, verify that this reference is checked. If you have to recheck it, do so, click Apply, then OK, then restart the system. It's now ready to get as much of the program out of your system as is possible, using those instructions.

Good luck,

Kay

1.4K Posts

July 1st, 2000 20:00

Kay...great advice to be sure MSCONFIG listings are enables prior to the uninstall.

All too often this is overlooked and pieces are left...including, the MSCONFIG listing.

Dan

1.1K Posts

Hey Dan,

I say it's a pearl, so there you go :) You're one up on me with it--I just regedited the stuff out without thinking to even wonder. This is cleaner, faster, and safer, and as always, I learn from your posts :)

Have a good one,

Kay

1.1K Posts

LOL, Dan--guess who I learned that little pearl of wisdom from? :) One of your discussions in the Win 98 conference :)

Have a good one,

Kay

1.4K Posts

Hey Kay, that ain't no pearl...it's just that my light bulb FINALLY lit as to why those things were still there after uninstalls. 8-)

Dan

106 Posts

July 1st, 2000 23:00

Hi Dan & Kay,

No one answered the question as to what the program is used for. I have Dellnet as my ISP, and don't have the program on my system.

Thanks,
Marti Porterfield

1.1K Posts

July 2nd, 2000 00:00

OK, that explains why that system has it. It caused enough trouble with errors that unless it was extensively reworked, it was not worth continuing to install it on the system for most people. I'm glad they found another method to get you connected with Dellnet without the trouble of this program. At the time, it enjoyed the same reputation as Attune does now.

Later,

Kay

106 Posts

Thanks Kay,

I had to wait a week a so to get my system, so I could get Dellnet on it. My system will be a year old in August.

The person with the question stated that their system was 1-1/2 years old.

marti

1.4K Posts

Good question, Marti...

I and, everyone I know, uninstalled it. It was causing the mysterious "Do you wish to close your connection to the Internet" popup on my machine.

I *think* it is a multi-function application containing an internet browser, among other things. It is also known as "Connect Direct" which is how it was listed in my Add/Remove Programs applet but, everywhere else was either Encompass, Encompass Monitor or, EncMon.

If you don't have it, count yourself lucky.

Dan

1.1K Posts

Hi Marti,

One of the Techs who used to be here told me it was somehow related; I had it off my system shortly after getting it, so never attempted to use it. All I can speculate is that while it might be related, it must not be necessary. It caused a great deal of trouble for people, so perhaps it was pulled, and you did not get it with your system. I don't know the age of the system in question here, so I can't guess as to whether it is being used again or not.

Later,

Kay

106 Posts

July 2nd, 2000 02:00

Dan,

I don't remember ever seeing it on my machine, and tonight I did a 'find' on 'enc,' and came up with nothing. And I've never seen the "do you want to close your connection to the Internet."

But, depending on how I connect, I can get the Dellnet 'stay connected/or disconnect' message (can't get the exact words now as I'm on line!).

I was just so curious about the Encompass software when Kay mentioned Dellnet.

Thanks,
marti

33 Posts

July 2nd, 2000 05:00

Hey, sage advice as always. Thanx to everyone.
No Events found!