Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 11th, 2016 15:00

What is a good graphics card for this 15-year old Dimension E520?

I am looking for a graphics card suitable for a stock 15-year old PC, the Dell Dimension E520. I have replaced several stock parts, and even upgraded to Windows 10, but am not very savvy when it comes to choosing hardware upgrades. I used Crucial to help me find new RAM, but need help finding a GPU. I want to get the maximum performance out of its current hardware, without risk of blowing it up.

I want to turn this PC into a classic gaming system. I want to run older games on it, such as Playstation 1 emulators, and Half-Life 1 with no lag (the classic Goldsource collection). Would like to play the newer Source versions too, but my expectations for this PC are set reasonably low.

Below are its specs, mostly gathered from Speccy.. and a pic of the inside :] Please help.

http://i.imgur.com/HR4MtJf.jpg

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 32-bit

Power Supply
305w

CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 1.86GHz
Conroe 65nm Technology

RAM
1.00 GB DDR2 (soon to be 4GB)

Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0WG864 (Microprocessor)

Graphics
AL2016W (1680x1050@59Hz)
Intel G965 Express Chipset Family (Dell)
Intel G965 Express Chipset Family (Dell)

Storage
298GB Western Digital WDC WD3200AAKS-61L9A0 (SATA)

Optical Drives
TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H553A

Audio
USB Audio Device

184 Posts

November 12th, 2016 01:00

Greetings,

Thank you for reaching us here. I would like to let you know that all Dimension systems are end of life systems, and the minimum hardware requirements might not have met to run Windows 10. I request you to share the system system service tag, registered owner's name and email via private message so that we will review the system details and assist you further with graphics card upgrade options available for this system.

You could send a private message by hovering the cursor on my username and by adding me as a friend.

2 Posts

November 12th, 2016 12:00

I've been running Windows 10 pretty well on the Dimension E520, no issues whatsoever. It is somewhat slow, only because it came with 1GB of RAM. This machine has a x64 bit processor, but I'm a little weary of upgrading to 64 bit.. not sure its fully compatible, with the drivers and the various 64 bit requirements. The CPU might be too early for 64bit Windows 10, but does work fine on 32 bit.

184 Posts

November 13th, 2016 19:00

Hi Dubs44,

Thank you for your reply. I would like to let you know that this system is not tested with Windows 10 by Dell. If upgraded you may face issues with the drivers.

I would certainly be happy to assist you with graphics card upgrade options on this system once you share the service tag of the system via private message, so that I could review the details and assist you further.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 13th, 2016 20:00

I've been running Windows 10 pretty well on the Dimension E520, no issues whatsoever. It is somewhat slow, only because it came with 1GB of RAM. This machine has a x64 bit processor, but I'm a little weary of upgrading to 64 bit.. not sure its fully compatible, with the drivers and the various 64 bit requirements. The CPU might be too early for 64bit Windows 10, but does work fine on 32 bit.

I have used the Sapphire 6450 with excellent results in older Dells. All the drivers are be available for either 32- or 64-bit, apart from now-useless peripherals like dial-up modems. If Windows 10 x64 will install, it will be compatible.

No Events found!