Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 4th, 2015 13:00

What is a simple but effective video card upgrade for the XPS 8500? (Complete Computer Newb)

What is a simple but effective video card upgrade for the XPS 8500? (Complete Computer Newb)

Hello Dell Community. I have read through the XPS compatibility sticky and a couple threads on upgrading video cards. However, I could not find something that will fit my specific needs. If you can all help me with this, that would be great!

Computer Specifications:

• Dell Xps 8500
  • Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHZ
  • 16gb Ram
  • 64 bit operating system
  • AMD Radeon HD 7570

Needs:

• Run newer 2014/2015 games with no lag on medium to high settings (GTA V)
  • Relatively easy to install (Remove a couple screws and stick the video card in and voila!)
  • No need to upgrade PSU

Budget is $200 - 250:

• Obviously the lower, the better, and if need be the budget is flexible. Dependent on if the gain is substantial for the amount paying.

Look forward to all of your responses!

Thank You,

Richard

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 5th, 2015 07:00

A card that I know works thats $200 would be

EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ 2GB GDDR5 128bit   02G-P4-2966-KR  it comes with a 2 X 6 pin to 8 pin Y cable so the stock power supply should be fine.

more than 2 Gigs is not going to improve the card and it will raise the price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487091

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Dual-Link-Graphics-02G-P4-2966-KR/dp/B00SC6HAS4

Make no mistake though this is not going to perform 4K full screen video.

For that you need 3  way SLI GTX 980's and a 1500W power supply in an Area 51 Triad.

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

June 4th, 2015 20:00

The XPS 8500 comes with a 460 watt supply, same as the XPS 8700.  The fastest card *Dell has tested* is the GTX 660.  Some have run the GTX 960 with success using the stock power supply, but I don't think Dell has "officially" OKed this combination.

According to guru3d, the GTX 960 can run GTA V in 1080p at around 53 fps.

If you want something faster (like the GTX 970) you will likely probably have to upgrade the power supply.

June 4th, 2015 21:00

Thank you for your reply Jersey_Shore, would you please provide the link to guru's recommendation.

After doing some price searching the GTX 960 is in my price range, would it matter if I purchased the 2gb or 4gb version? What does the gb's represent? And is the installation fairly simple?

If Guru's thread answers these questions please direct them there.

Best,

Richard

June 6th, 2015 14:00

Thank you!

I just purchased the GTX 960 you mentioned. It will be coming on Tuesday/Wednesday! I'll let everyone know how installation goes.

Best,

Rich

June 9th, 2015 20:00

The card installed and the computer boots. However, I do get some beeps and warnings. Hope you can help.

Heres what I posted in the hard ware forum:

This was my first time installing a video card into a computer. Everything seems to work fine as I am using my computer to type this message right now, aside from some minor annoyances.

BEEPING Annoyance

When booting up my computer, it would stay on the dark "Dell" loading screen and make 3 beeps. Each beep would be 10 - 15 seconds apart. Than it would continue to start up.

WARNING Annoyance

When the computer is on I would get an error message saying

"WARNING:

The Catalyst Control Center is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics adapter. Please update your AMD graphics driver, or enable your AMD adapter using the Displays Manager ."

Please assist Dell Community!

Thank you.

June 10th, 2015 08:00

Thanks Jersey,

Uninstalling the old AMD graphic drivers got rid of the WARNING error. I'll try the BIOS next.

After reading a couple BEEP error pages, it says it could be dusty in there or something was improperly placed. I'll try opening it up again and cleaning the computer to see what happens.

Hopefully this works.

Thanks for your help.

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

June 10th, 2015 08:00

You no longer have an AMD graphics adapter installed - you have an NVidia graphics adapter.  You need to uninstall all of the AMD graphics drivers, then download and install the lastest NVidia GTX 960 drivers from their site.  (This is valid for any GTX 960 card - EVGA, ASUS, etc.)

I would also suggest you go to the Dell support website and download / install the latest BIOS for your computer - there have been BIOS updates for the XPS 8700 specifically for the newest 9xx series graphics adapters, and there may be similar updates for your computer.  Good luck.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 11th, 2015 11:00

The card I recommended does not need any bios update afaikt.  However you must attach the 2 X  6 Pin  PCI-E power connectors to the Y cable that converts them to 8 Pin and plug that into the AUX power connector for the card.

No Events found!