Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 10th, 2016 07:00

Windows 7 system won't start (blue screen error)

Hi all,

I'm facing a serious issue with my system - it won't load windows and hits a blue screen error (See attached) every time I load.

I suspect it's a hardware issue because I've had symptoms for a while. Below I'll describe symptoms and what led to the issue, and what actions I've taken so far.

Symptoms

• when playing some performance intensive video games, computer freezes or video driver crashes (crashing the game)
  • I have 12 GB of RAM in the system but when it was working it only detected 6GB of workable RAM
  • Every so often it would face issues when booting (would freeze during windows booting up). After several restarts it would be fine
  • The last couple of months it's been fine, only crashing a couple of times but otherwise no issues

What led to these issues

• I decided to try and get the system to use its full 12gb (after only detecting 6gb). I did this by going to msconfig -> tools -> advanced -> 'maximum memory' set to 12
  • I've done this before and it's worked. For a while the system detects 12 gb of RAM, but eventually it goes back to 6GB

Steps taken so far

• Boot in safe mode
  • system restore from last save point (a few days ago)
  • Removed each RAM module in turn to see if it was one of these (it wasn't, issue occurred on all configurations)

None of these worked.

If anyone could help me identify the issue, it'd be great. The decision I need to make is basically do I try to repair this computer or get a new one (current system is 5 or 6 years old so degradation is expected)

thanks a lot for your help

Rich

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 11th, 2016 12:00

Exactly which PC model is this?

Did you upgrade to 12 GB of RAM or did the system come that way? And if you upgraded, did these problems start after the upgrade? Are you sure 12 GB is a supported RAM config on this PC model and is RAM you may have added fully compatible?

Removed each RAM module in turn to see if it was one of these (it wasn't, issue occurred on all configurations)

You can't just remove a single RAM module willy-nilly. Depending on the system, some RAM configs may not be supported and won't work even if you didn't have the Stop 74 issue.

If you want to test RAM one at a time, remove all RAM except the one in slot 1. Then remove the motherboard battery and press/hold power button for ~30 sec before reinstalling the battery (use a fresh one if this one is old) and rebooting. Then swap each RAM module into slot 1 to see if you can ID a bum module.

If they all work in slot 1, add one to slot 2, do the battery thing, and then test each remaiing module in slot 2, etc.

Note: Always power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec before working inside.

2 Posts

July 12th, 2016 09:00

thanks for your response RoHe. I have actually fixed this now.

FYI for anyone else who experiences this issue: I reset the max memory value (which was the last thing I'd changed) back to default using bcdedit - more info here: social.technet.microsoft.com/.../badsystemconfiginfo-how-do-i-fix-this-

No Events found!