Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 29th, 2014 03:00

Windows 8.1 upgrade causes Radeon display driver problem

I have downloaded & installed the upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1. I can (now!) see this whole display/ Catalyst Control Centre is a known problem after upgrade to Windows 8.1 with AMD Radeon graphics.

On my pc I see the following:

-        Device Manager

• Display Adapters shows the following:
    • AMD Radeon HD 7600A Series
    • Intel HD Graphics 4000

• Monitor shows as “Generic PnP”

-        New Intel HD graphics control panel in desktop tray

-        On startup I receive following message: “Catalyst Control Centre: Host application has stopped working”.

What I have tried:

-        Restarting pc

-        Checked & installed all Windows updates

-        Devices and Printers – my pc (“needs troubleshooting/ driver error”) – troubleshooting found the following problems (but Windows was unable to automatically correct them through “apply this fix”):

• Problem with the driver for Bluetooth LWFLT device
  • Problem with the driver for Virtual Bluetooth support (including audio)
  • Problem with the driver for Bluetooth Audio Device

-        I have found the following files on my pc (but not sure if they are drivers!):

• CLI.Aspect.Radeon3D.Graphics.Dashboard.dll (& .Runtime.dll & Shared.dll)

-        I have reviewed Microsoft forums but they typically refer users to the pc manufacturer!

Problem: I believe my problem is that Windows 8.1 was unable to find the driver for the AMD Radeon HD7650; identified it as a generic PnP monitor; added the Intel HD display adapter/ driver.

Proposed solution: I am guessing my solution is to find the driver for the AMD Radeon HD7650 & “update driver software” through the device manager!

[I have also seen the following quick/ easy solution, which I am unsure about: locate C:\Program Files\AMD\CCC2\Install   - think you just double click on it?]

Concerns:

-        Creating a conflict if I download the AMD Radeon driver whilst the Intel HD 4000 is still showing

-        Causing a dreaded “blank screen” if I uninstall the Intel HD 4000 adapter first (I have read of many users experiencing this)

Questions:

-        am I right in my problem definition/ proposed solution?

-        what order do I do things in to avoid “blank screen”?

-        should I even have 2 display adapters (if not, do I need to uninstall the Intel one)?

-        should I create a system restore point (I have never done this – any links as to how to do it appreciated)?

Many thanks for your help.

PC:    Dell Inspiron One 2330   [all-in-one pc]

OS:    Windows 8.1, 64-bit        [note: I do not have any installation cds as pc came with Windows 8 pre-installed/ nor for the monitor]

No Responses!
No Events found!