Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 19th, 2015 17:00

Windows Live mail

I'll try to not let my extreme anger at Dell computers come across in this post! My computer is less than a year old and it's had more problems than anyone would believe. It's Inspiron 3646 with the 8.1 OS. To tell the entire two month story would take too long so I'll just keep it to the latest Dell caused problem! They have different techs to my home three different times. The first tech changed the hard drive, but the problems remained, the second tech came out and changed the motherboard and memory stick, and the third, who just came out on Dec.17th, changed the hard drive and motherboard again. While he was here he told me that the first tech who came out and changed the hard drive apparently did what they call "ghosting" the new hard drive. I'm in no way computer savvy so i have no idea what that means. Anyway after the third tech left the other night I had prayed that everything would be finally fixed, but it wasn't. Somehow he did something to my Windows Live Mail account that prevents me from sending outgoing emails. I called my internet provider and they gave me all the information I would need to check and see if everything was as it should be. What I mean by that is that they gave me the incoming and outgoing mail server addresses, each of their port  numbers, and whether or not the Incoming and Outgoing servers required SSL and whether or not the outgoing server needed authentication. Everything is what supposed to me, but yet i still can't send any emails out. I can get them in, but not out. Please, any help anyone can give me to help solve this issue will be greatly appreciated!! I get more correct information from members here than I do anywhere else. I didn't think all the reasons for why they've changed so much hardware was important enough to include it in this post, but after giving it a second thought I thought I should. Originally the first problem was that my computer all of a sudden became extremely slow, and there were a number of freeze-ups, and "Not Responding" errors, and when I would be on one webpage reading an article, it would all of a sudden just switch to a different website! First Dell told me it a was a software issue and since my software warranty had expired I would need to pay a one time fix fee of $129 if I wanted them to fix it. I charged the fee to a credit card because I was tired of the run around's Dell was giving me. After the first tech(after I paid) looked at it through their remote assistance he came back and said it was a hardware issue. No refund they said!!.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 19th, 2015 17:00

I am not going to read through that LONG diatribe.

State your problem concisely please.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 19th, 2015 19:00

Originally the first problem was that my computer all of a sudden became extremely slow, and there were a number of freeze-ups, and "Not Responding" errors, and when I would be on one webpage reading an article, it would all of a sudden just switch to a different website!

That sounds more like malware than hardware.

While he was here he told me that the first tech who came out and changed the hard drive apparently did what they call "ghosting" the new hard drive.

I think he means they did not copy over the contents of your old hard drive to the new one.

What I mean by that is that they gave me the incoming and outgoing mail server addresses, each of their port  numbers, and whether or not the Incoming and Outgoing servers required SSL and whether or not the outgoing server needed authentication. Everything is what supposed to me, but yet i still can't send any emails out. I can get them in, but not out.

This should be really simple to fix, and I doubt it's hardware. If I could remote in via Windows Remote Assistance, I might be able to fix it within a few minutes.

No Events found!