Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 12th, 2015 16:00

XPS 18 will not boot, power light will not stop blinking

I was upgrading this computer to Windows 10, I had done an in place install but the kids had spyware that was showing up even then. I did a refresh, it failed I did an install and finally got into windows. Installed a couple updates and rebooted.

The computer has been bricked since. The only thing that is happening is the LED that indicates the power above the button will not stop flashing white. Plugged in or not plugged in, after holding down the power button for 5, 10 and 30 seconds, The power light stops flashing for a moment and then starts again. I tried multiple outlets. No clue unless it is coincidental hardware failure.

October 13th, 2015 13:00

I'll ammend that.  I went back in and re-removed the battery cable.  I also removed the CMOS battery cable this time... that at least got me to an onscreen error message and access to BIOS!

October 16th, 2015 19:00

I used these instructions:

You wont need to remove the antenna cable though.  You can do steps 7 and 10 without doing steps 3,6,8,and 9.

blog.parts-people.com/.../dell-xps-18-1810-battery-removal-and-installation

5 Posts

October 16th, 2015 19:00

Check out steps 11 and 12 of the iFixit XPS 18 battery swap guide.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Dell+XPS+18+Battery+Replacement/37323

You don't have to do all the steps.  I only do 1, 2, 3 then gently peal up the black plastic and do 11, 12

3 Posts

August 13th, 2015 11:00

As I said there is no activity at all. Only the blinking light. There is no response whatsoever beyond the blinking power light. If I hold down the power button for 10 to 15 seconds it flashes orange for a second and then goes back to flashing white. It will not stop flashing white no matter what.

It is an 1810 all in one. There is no way to remove the battery that I am aware of and I do not have an alternate power cord. The power cable is lighting up white like it is charging. I tried multiple outlets, it was plugged in when it failed. I left it unplugged overnight for it to discharge and then tried plugging it in. Same response.

Service Code: <ADMIN NOTE:service code removed per privacy policy>

I really hope there is some miraculous way to resurrect the system but right now it seems like faulty hardware just out warranty.

1.2K Posts

August 13th, 2015 11:00

Hi Corillon ,

Based on the information given when the power button stays blinking with battery and charger then the system is low on battery .

Advise what if you are able to view the BIOS or do hear any beeps from the system .

Also if you can check the status of the system with a different battery and charger .

Hoping to hear from you soon .Do reply to this post with the service tag of the system so that I can assist you further .

Kind Regards ,

5 Posts

August 13th, 2015 18:00

Same issue here two days after upgrading to Win10.   Prior to the upgrade battery & AC charging worked.

Now the unit will not power on and the power light gives a steady white blink.

I cannot get to BIOS.

I've held the power button down for 30 seconds.  The light goes dark.   When I press the power button again (short press or long press) it goes back to blinking white.

I let the unit run out of power with the AC unplugged.  When I plugged it back in and tried to turn it on I was back to the same state.

3 Posts

August 14th, 2015 06:00

I managed to get mine up and running. @dellcares on twitter helped. Go in and pull out the battery cable out and then reset it. When I plugged it the battery back in the system worked again

5 Posts

August 14th, 2015 10:00

Glad to hear it.  I'll give that a go this weekend.

August 17th, 2015 12:00

Hi there,

Same with mine, absolutely fine then upgrade to windows 10 and now it won't charge, battery is flat, mine blinks orange, ie in standby mode left it on charge for two days the power pack does not feel warm so it's not drawing much charge. Can you please explain more t he battery unplug process that helped you.

I have tried a hard reset but not enough power in the battery to complete the process. Why did dell not make this run off a power supply, heaven knows. If anyone can offer help, I would be really appreciated..... Help please

Steve

5 Posts

August 17th, 2015 18:00

Opening the case and unplugging the battery made no difference for me.  Still have the blinking white light as soon as the battery is connected.

Surprisingly, when the battery was disconnected, I could not power up from the AC adapter.  I'm not sure if these tablets require a battery to boot, but that was unusual.

1.2K Posts

August 18th, 2015 11:00

Hi @XPS18USERBLEAH ,

This is the link for the manual with the help of which you can remove the battery from the system .Advise the result of the test  .

Kind Regards,

1.2K Posts

August 18th, 2015 12:00

Hi @Bullrose ,

Apologies for delayed reply ,but have you had the chance to check system performance with a different battery and charger .

And kindly provide the system service tag via private message so that I can check the system specification .

Kind Regards ,

August 18th, 2015 12:00

Hello Jennifer, the xps18 is a closed unit and the battery is not a simple removable item like on a laptop. The user manual you have provided does not help to remove the battery. Thanks for trying to help. Can you please please look up xps 1810 blinking red light and battery plugged in and not charging. I am keen to hear if your knowledge base will suggest the failure item? Looking online it appears to be either the main board or perhaps the power board. Thanks again for your help.

Steve

1.2K Posts

August 19th, 2015 12:00

Hi Steve ,

A fast blinking amber /red light here indicated low on battery .I understand battery removal is a tedious task but If the system shows the same error with and without  a charger then either the system board or the battery could have failed .Assist me with the system service tag info ( via private message ) so that I can advise system specific troubleshooting .

Hoping to hear from you soon .

Kind Regards ,

August 19th, 2015 15:00

Ok, so I bought the optional xps18 dock and it has recharged the system so I can now boot it. I reverted back to windows 8.1 and now it has restarted I am able to use the side power dc port to power the battery as before the upgrade/kill my computer windows 10.hope this helps others and perhaps inspires dell and windows developers to find a correct driver for the xps18.dc jack

No Events found!