Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2015 13:00

XPS 1810 Factory Reset Issues

Hello,

I tried to use the Dell utility to reset my XPS 18 to factory settings since I sold it. I plugged in an external drive and followed the directions.  Note that I am not trying to restore any data, just bring it back to new settings.

The restore process seemed stuck on screen with dell logo so after 5 hours so I hard booted.  Now I can't boot to windows and am wondering is there a way to launch the factory restore from the bios?  I seem to be stuck, so I took a windows 8.1 pro DVD and figured I'd try and install that on the OS drive, which requires me to load the sata drivers which I did from a thumb drive.  Even doing that it won't work.. I am stuck on this screen saying:

FILE:   \EFI\Microsoft\Boot|BCD

Info: The Boot COnfiguration Data for your pc is missing or contains errors. 

All the factory partitions are intact so I'm wondering if there is a way to fix this without booting into windows?

-K

June 22nd, 2015 14:00

I also tried repair option from advanced settings and I get a message that the drive is locked. 

June 22nd, 2015 14:00

Hi,

Please click here: http://dell.to/1u0NJHN ;and follow the steps mentioned to perform factor reset.
You can also try loading BIOS defaults and then reinstall the operating system. Please press F2 on the dell log loading screen and press F10 to load bios defaults.
Let us know if this helped.

June 22nd, 2015 15:00

Thanks for the reply.  I don't have the option for dell backup and recovery in the boot menu, so those steps wont work for me.  I'm wondering if this is something I can fix with cmd in advanced options.  The 6 partitions are still intact.  Any tips?

System 500mb

Unknown 40mb

Reserved 128mb

Recovery 500mb

Primary 450gb

Recovery 13gb.

I tried the bios reset and no luck.  I have also tried to just install from a win 8 ISO to the primary drive but windows won't let me select it. I'd like to reset this properly to factory settings anyways before I just wipe the drive and attempt a clean windows install.

-K

June 29th, 2015 13:00

Please click here: dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/.../a-clean-install-of-windows-8-1 and follow the instructions to perform clean installation.
Let us know if this helped.

No Events found!