Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 21st, 2017 19:00

XPS 1810 plugged in not charging

All, recently I encountered the "plugged in not charging" problem on my Dell XPS 1810. I tried the shutdown, unplug cable and plug in again, reboot to no avail. Then tried to remove "ACPI battery" from Device Manager, reboot to no avail. Also tried suggestion to hold on to the restart button for a few seconds to no avail. Initially I was able to plug it in and continue to use the PC with 0-1% charge, 2 to 3 days later, I could not even boot up the machine.

So I succumbed to the solution to order a replacement motherboard as suggested by another thread here that worked for almost everyone. Yesterday after placing the motherboard order, I moved the XPS 18 back to the bedroom and leave it there. Today, I just wanted to give it another try with zero expectation, and SUPRISINGLY it rebooted and the battery is charging AGAIN!! It is 70% charged now. 

Well I try to see what I have done differently. I googled and found a different thread for this same problem but not specifically for XPS 18, and they suggest to blow or clean the charger contact. You know what, I did blow at the charger contact yesterday night because I had similar problem with my cellphone and cleaning the contact worked on a cellphone. It did not charge yesterday night, but I think I fling the charging contact while I moved it o my room. 

Now I have a replacement motherboard on its way, which I will have to return. So try cleaning the charging contact first, if that does not work for you, then try to replace the motherboard. I am so glad, coz mine is an i5 and an i5 replacement motherboard costs $300+. I ordered the i3 replacement board on eBay for $70. I will return or sell it on eBay.

Want to share this, hopefully it helps other XPS 18 owner. Good luck.

2 Posts

April 22nd, 2017 14:00

you can try to update the BIOS first. take note that once the bios update has started, it should not be interrupted because it will severely damage your motherboard. that's one of the troubleshooting steps that I learned.

2 Posts

April 23rd, 2017 14:00

Hi my BIOS is already most up to date. I think I can pretty conclusively say the charging port is the problem. Silly me, I have the cradle stand which I have not used to charge my XPS except when I first bought the XPS 18, so I totally forgot that I can charge by connecting the charger to the stand (so silly, other post have even mentioned this). I only use my XPS in my home, so charging through the gold pogo pin on the cradle stand or the port on the left does not make a difference to me.

When it was not charging and when the battery was critically low, it would ask me to connect the 65W charger, USB keyboard and press F1 or F2 to continue/abort. When I plug in the charger into the port, it recognizes the charger and would boot into Windows albeit sometimes the battery was too low and it would shutdown abruptly.

Now I just charge through the cradle stand, I always use it on the stand anyway. Point is I can charge using the same charger on the cradle stand, and XPS recognizes the 65W charger when plugged into the port, then the charger is not the problem.

I have also suspected the OS at one point, I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10. I have read people with "plugged in not charging issue" after upgrading to Windows 10, and when reverted to Windows 8.1, the issue is fixed. In my case, obviously that is not the case.

So the issue is particles/dust in the charging port causing it not to charge. I had similar issue with my Samsung Galaxy Note phone in the past, and cleaning the dusty charging port resolved that issue.

The motherboard obviously is working, so all other component is working and not faulty. When you swap out the motherboard, you get a new motherboard with a new charging port. That is why replacing the motherboard fixes the problem because you get a new charging port. So try to clean the port as well as you can, this might be your issue.

Lastly if you have an i5 CPU, if cleaning the port does not resolve your problem, do not get a replacement motherboard with i3 CPU. The cost of a replacement motherboard with i3 is $70 and $300+ with an i5. I placed an order with the i3 due to cost (which I will return). Instead, try getting the cradle/charging stand, it usually sells for $100.

That is my take, I think I can confidently says it is the charging port in my case. Test for yourself, hopefully that helps someone out there, try it out other options besides replacing the motherboard. Best of luck.

3 Posts

May 19th, 2017 15:00

I have the same charging problem with my XPS 18. After it turns off, it slowly charges itself. Maybe in 30 minutes or one hour, I can turn on the computer and use it for some time (5-30 minutes) until it turns off again. After overnight charging, I normally can get at least 40 minute use in the morning to check if my stocks are all falling...

No Events found!