Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

December 19th, 2008 08:00

XPS 420 Boot Fails When Monitor Powered Off

I have an XPS 420.  If the monitor (dell sp2208wfp) is not powered on before starting the 420, the boot partially completes, and the only option I have is to hold the power button to retart the computer.  The hard power down has caused several problems including disk mirroring resync and desktop icons to be scrambled.  Anyone have any ideas?  Normally I would try differnent solutions like updating drivers, etc, but testing that may result in hard power down has me asking for help.

799 Posts

December 19th, 2008 08:00

I have an XPS 420.  If the monitor (dell sp2208wfp) is not powered on before starting the 420, the boot partially completes, and the only option I have is to hold the power button to retart the computer.  The hard power down has caused several problems including disk mirroring resync and desktop icons to be scrambled.  Anyone have any ideas?

Hello drp17, You are correct about the errors that will occur when the system is hard booted in the middle on an attempted boot.

This is not good at all, but when this happens, you have no other options than the hard reboot.

I am not sure about the cause of this issue, but if you have another monitor and/or system, I would try the monitor on another system to see if the issue may be with the monitor, or try another monitor on the XPS420 to see if the issue is present with the other monitor.

Just a thought.

14.4K Posts

December 19th, 2008 11:00

I have to ask the basic question of why do you not power on the monitor first?  This has been the normal way for ages.  You do run the risk of the monitor not being id'd correctly the way you are doing this.

799 Posts

December 19th, 2008 12:00

I have to ask the basic question of why do you not power on the monitor first?  This has been the normal way for ages.  You do run the risk of the monitor not being id'd correctly the way you are doing this.

I have to agree with Davet50, about the monitor being on when the systems boots.

I have all the system components connected to a Power Center, on all the systems I have, and I turn the Power Center on and then turn the PC tower on after about 5-10 seconds.

This approach keeps me from pressing the On switch on the monitor every time I boot a system up.

Continually using the On/Off switches on monitors can result in premature failure of the switch.

Just a thought.

No Events found!