Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 16th, 2011 12:00

XPS 435MT with GeForce GTX Video Cards - can they safely fit in the case

I have a Dell XPS 435 MT case which came with a GeForce GT 220 video card. As you may know, the video card is located a few inches from the bottom of the case, and therefore has air circulation.

I would like to upgrade the video card to a more powerful card (i.e. GTX 560, or thereabouts) but I am concerned about size and the placement within the case.

As I understand, most cards now take up two slots, which should work on my set-up, but I am concerned about the fact that the fan will be only about 1/2" or 1" from the bottom of the case. Is it possible to replace the single slot video card with a new Dual Slot card and not be threatened by overheating due to the fact the fan faces the bottom of the case?

P.S. I recenetly replaced the Power Supply to an OCZ 600W (so I should be ok with Power).

Thank you all very much for your help - I appreciate it.

1.5K Posts

July 17th, 2011 12:00

What I meant was that they will run cooler than an older generation card with similar performance like the GTX 260.  The GTX 560 or 550 Ti should still be less than the GT 220 at idle though, but may run hotter under load.   It's hard to say in your particular case.  You must have a fan on your GT 220 because passive cooling on this card can easily reach 70C in use.  The GTX 560 runs cooler than the GTX 550 Ti and has better performance so I would go with the GTX 560. There is also a GTX 560 Ti which is even a higher performing card.   The GTX 560 only shows to hit 55C under load so you may be just fine.  

1.5K Posts

July 16th, 2011 17:00

The case has a bad design with the low position of the PCIe x16 slot.  I am sure with higher-end dual slot cards you will have heat build up which can shorten the lifespan of the GPU.  This system is really meant for lower-end single slot cards.  However, others have put the dual slot cards in these systems so you are always welcome to give it a try and see how things work out over time.  The newer cards today run cooler than the older generation of cards so you are a step ahead there.  

3 Posts

July 16th, 2011 17:00

Thank you so much for your answer - so the newer cards (like a GeForce GTX 560 or 550 - around there) will run cooler than my GeForce GT 220 that I got in my original purchase with Dell?

If so that's great news - my current graphics card runs at about 41 degrees idle and 55 or so in use.

No Events found!