Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 2nd, 2012 12:00

XPS 600 will not accept two identical Kingston 2GB 667 sticks at the same time!

I recently bought another exactly the same stick of memory to complement the one I already had with dual channel. When I installed it in the other white memory slot, the computer would get to Win 7 x64 or Ubuntu Linux x64 (11.10) and reboot. With 32bit Ubuntu it did start all the way up, but shows 2GB RAM. Specifically on Windows, since it's the main OS, it gets to the "Starting Windows" screen and just before the Windows logo animation starts, BAM it restarts. In the BIOS (ver. A11) it shows 4GB (2x 2GB) Dual Interleaved 667MHz memory. Also, to answer anyone's posts in advance I have tried both sticks in memory test and they pass 100% on their own, and I have even tried each slot individually and confirmed they all work properly. Also, I've tried them both on the same channel and used both black slots with no success. However, when I introduce the second stick the OS's won't start.

Both sticks are the following: Kingston KVR667D2N5/2G 99U5316-062.A00LF (don't know what it is, but they both have the same)

I'm to the point where I know that there's no way to fix this, I'd just feel a lot better if I knew what was wrong. I know a thing or two about computers, but have never encountered anything like this before.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 2nd, 2012 14:00

The "KVR" suggests Kingston Value RAM.  We have seen many memory problems with the Kingston Value RAM.  Regular Kingston is usually not a problem.  On many other forums it's the same thing about the Kingston Value RAM and names for it that can't be posted on this forum.

For non-Dell memory, most of the techies on here recommend Crucial, as it's guaranteed to work in Dell's.  Some Dell's have a history of memory incompatibility and no particular trend - a brand will work OK in one and the same brand in another may not work.  The only constant seems to be the Kingston Value RAM and even that is not 100% (but generally is a problem).

Crucial XPS 600 Memory Listing

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 2nd, 2012 15:00

It's not 100% but it's a high chance the memory is the problem.  The KVR memory is less expensive but "you get what you pay for".  As I previously stated, the names for KVR memory on some other forums cannot be posted here.

It's up to you, but if you want to keep it for a little while, go with the Crucial Memory.    Crucial is $60 direct from them for 4GB.  That is less than buying Dell memory would be.  

6 Posts

February 2nd, 2012 15:00

Well I don't know what to do, should I just throw them in the trash and get something else? The computer is almost 6 years old and I'm due for something new anyways. I just wanted to have it a bit faster and memory seemed to be the spot to upgrade. I could still return the new one to Amazon, but the other I've had for about 5 months. I got the computer for free with almost nothing in it and put about $150 in stuff to make it good. I just don't want to put a bunch of money into an old computer.

August 27th, 2012 13:00

I have exactly the same problem, but with the 800Mhz version. When i put 1 stick Kingston 800MHZ 2 gb memory in the motherboard, the bios says "2048MB available". When i put 2 sticks Kingston 800MHZ 2 gb memory in my motherboard, the bios says "3072MB available". Who can solve this problem for me?

Both sticks are the following: Kingston KVR800D2N6K2/4G 99U5316-064.A00LF

Thanks in advance.

No Events found!