Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

December 30th, 2006 21:00

XPS 700 Won't power off w/Vista

I've installed Windows Vista 32bit on my XPS 700 and the system does not power off when I shut Windows down.  The OS itself seems to complete shutdown, but the LEDs stay on, I can hear the fan(s) running and the network link indicator on the front is on.  I have to push the power button for a few seconds to completely turn of the system.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

3.3K Posts

December 30th, 2006 23:00

How did you install?
Upgrade over XP home?

You will have to install in compatibility mode, otherwise, it won't take, at least mine didn't

36 Posts

December 31st, 2006 00:00

I installed Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit fresh on a blank HDD.  I'm not sure about the thread your post points to.  Does it imply that NVidia MediaShield *should* be installed?  As far as I know, I don't have any version of it on my system.  Thanks for your help, suggestions (and patience.)

1.9K Posts

December 31st, 2006 00:00

I have had the same situation since I started beta testing Vista.  I had hoped the final version would fix this issue, but it doesn't.  When Vista is released for the XPS 700/710 we should see a BIOS that corrects this(hopefully).

3.3K Posts

December 31st, 2006 01:00

It's not the bios, it's the nvidia media shield driver. My system did the same thing, until I installed this driver. Download it to your desktop, and run it in  XP compatibility mode. Once it is installed, your system will power off, restart, and hibernate like it should.
I used the previous driver, don't know if you can still find it.
Good luck,
jd

3.3K Posts

December 31st, 2006 01:00

The way I installed Vista to get it all working correct, was to install XP onto the drive I was using, update all the drivers, and then boot from my Vista DVD, and do a fresh install. Why this worked, I have no idea. I did the same for vista x64, and this was they ONLY way I could get it on a raid 0 array. Vista x64 would not install with 4gigs of ram, I had to pull out 2 gigs, and then it went in fine. Why, I don't know. I have had more trouble getting the RTM version running right that the betas. Very discouraging to say the least. To make matters worse, the Vista performance rating without raid 0 was 5.3, and when I got it installed with raid 0, it dropped to 5.2. Go figure? Then install these drivers if you have an nvidia video card:  http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1541
 and all should be well.
Good luck,
jd

36 Posts

December 31st, 2006 11:00

I installed the newest NVidia driver release and now Vista and the PC both shutdown properly.  Thanks again for the help and suggestion.  :smileyhappy:

3.3K Posts

December 31st, 2006 15:00

You are welcome. Enjoy it, and
Happy New Year!!!

February 9th, 2007 10:00

XPS 700
No power off.  I installed the media shield fix R147467.  Now it works.  Thanks all.

28 Posts

March 29th, 2007 02:00

Has anyone in here had an issue where the drives stall for about one minute while using the new media shield in vista?  Every once in awhile this happens, and then the drives all kick back in and run...tons of windows open and close (because I was trying to open and close things when halted.)

Previous version of media shield doesnt do this, but i need to be able to actually turn off the machine.

AJB
No Events found!