Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2010 16:00

XPS 720 with Nvidia GTX 460

Hi,

I have recently purchased an EVGA GTX 460 to replace the 8800 GTS 512 that was already in my computer. Since installing the GTX 460 my computer has been starting up slower, it hangs longer on the dell bios screen when its testing itself and often i get error messages telling me there is a keyboard failure, I've also started getting blue screens and the computer wont start up with the error numbers 1 2 3 showing up. I have put in the old 8800 and the computer seems to start up fine.

Is the 720 compatible with the gtx 460 or have i just done something wrong when installing it.

Thanks very much.

14.4K Posts

November 14th, 2010 05:00

No is should be fine. I have a GTX 470 running in mine with no problems. I would suggest you make sure the card is fully inserted into the PCIe slot, the two power connections are hooked up.

Light code it the dreaded "Another failure has occurred" issue. I would also check other plug in components. Try removing and re-seating the ram and other cards, and check your cable connections.

There is also the distinct possibility that the card you have has an issue so keep that in the back of your mind to RMA it for another..

1 Message

August 3rd, 2011 17:00

Did you check how many watts your power supply is? you can have issues if your not getting enough power to your components. for most setups running a single  gtx 460 it needs about a 700 watt psu. hope this helps.

14.4K Posts

August 3rd, 2011 18:00

You do realize you responded to a  month old thread? The 720 has either a 750 0r 1 kw power supply as standard and I had a GTX 470 in mine and it screamed

No Events found!