Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 8th, 2008 06:00

XPS 730 Air cooled lower chassis shroud missing, cpu cooling assembly fan squaking

Hello,

I received my XPS 730 yesterday, and I opened it up, and I noticed that there is only one fan shroud covering the top fron chassis fan, the bottom front chassis fan is exposed, but if you look at the pictures in the users manual, there is a shround over both fans, top and bottom, in both air and h2c.

Mine is air cooled. I was wondering if it is missing or not supposed to be there? I would want one installed since I find it is very unprofessional to sell a 2.5K system and not put all the parts in it.

Also, my cpu cooling assembly fan is squaking, could the assembly be replaced?

Thanks!

196 Posts

October 8th, 2008 06:00

No shroud for the lower part of mine either, i think it looks cool exposed.
Message Edited by mischieff on 10-08-2008 02:54 AM

306 Posts

October 8th, 2008 14:00

If your air cooled XPS730 looks like this, you are missing the lower cooling fan shroud. It should look like the bottom picture. PART# MX281

Message Edited by atbglenn on 10-09-2008 08:00 PM

25 Posts

October 8th, 2008 19:00

I called up dell, and got a technician dispatched to replace my cpu cooling assembly, hopefully the new fan won't be making so grinding noise.

My case look exactly like the picture posted in the above message, I talked to the tech, we looked at the online manual together, he said he was able to identify the part and the tech will bring it over along with cpu fan replacement. I hope they got the right parts.

Thanks all.

I had the same problem. I didn't notice at first but then looking through the manuel I saw that there was supposed to be one. I went and chatted online with Dell's chat room and and told them that the processor fan assembly (thats what its called) was missing. So the tech sent out a order and a tech guy came out to my house to fix the problem. Well the part the tech had was the heatsink assembly which was wrong. So I showed the tech guy exactly what part was missing. He then called up on his phone to whom ever (think it was a Dell's spare parts department) but after ~5 mins of talking and trying to get the right part, he finally got an order for it. Next couple of days the shroud came in and I installed it myself. (told the tech guy that I could do it myself) Long story short I have the lower fan shroud installed. I don't remember what part # was on the invoice. Actually I don't know what I did with it. I may have threw it away. I would probably call spare parts. Don't know how much that helped but thats what happened with mine.

306 Posts

I'm calling Dell to get my lower fan shroud right now. Wish me luck

Update: they're sending me a shroud. Hopefully it's the right one.

Message Edited by atbglenn on 10-08-2008 05:07 PM

82 Posts

October 8th, 2008 21:00

Can somebody PM the part no. of the lower fan   shroud, i would appreciate it. thanks

306 Posts

@sikatcebu28 wrote:
Can somebody PM the part no. of the lower fan   shroud, i would appreciate it. thanks

When I get mine I'll give you the part #

82 Posts

Thanks, by the way, i called dell tech support and they will be sending me the low shroud fan.  I am crossing my finger for now bec. dell is notorious for sending the wrong parts. (especially mouse) thanks
Message Edited by sikatcebu28 on 10-08-2008 04:04 PM

82 Posts

October 8th, 2008 22:00

hahah! exactly.:smileyvery-happy:

82 Posts

You can find out the part no. by going to your dell account and click order history it should be there.  and if you can find it please post it so that everybody can use it  to call dell tech support. thanks

31 Posts

Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of getting a refund for my XPS 630 and purchasing a 730. Had a question regarding cooling. Is it possible to move the CPU fan closer to the front part of the cage just like the upper fan? Also could I please have the part number for the CPU shroud so I can make sure that it is going to come with the computer when it gets ordered.  Thanks again

306 Posts

@sikatcebu28 wrote:
Thanks, by the way, i called dell tech support and they will be sending me the low shroud fan.  I am crossing my finger for now bec. dell is notorious for sending the wrong parts. (especially mouse) thanks
Message Edited by sikatcebu28 on 10-08-2008 04:04 PM

Why do you think I'm waiting till I get mine. I'd hate to give you the wrong part number :)

306 Posts

October 8th, 2008 23:00

@sikatcebu28 wrote:
You can find out the part no. by going to your dell account and click order history it should be there.  and if you can find it please post it so that everybody can use it  to call dell tech support. thanks

Dell is sending mr this shroud: MX281 Assembly,Shroud,Front,Fan Extreme Performance System,730

I hope it's the right one

53 Posts

October 8th, 2008 23:00

I am about to jump on dell Chat so they can send mine as well. I thought someting was missing from my case when I changed the memory that they sent me last night. Now I know what it was...

196 Posts

October 9th, 2008 01:00

I'd get one, but does it really make a difference? seems ok with it off.

I'll tell you why they don't come with it, it's because of H2C, it occupies that part, when installed of course, but i don't need it.

No Events found!