Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 31st, 2008 14:00

XPS 730 - Hangs on Wake-up/ Fans at 100%

I have a XPS 730 that's about a week old.  I never turn my computer off.  I just let it go to sleep.  When trying to wake it up, about 50% of the time it wakes up successfully.  The other half of the time, the computer does not boot up (no POST), but the fans rev to 100%.  The only way to stop this is to hold down the power button or physically unplug it (and then plug it back in).  When I do this the power button continues to flash (as if it's still asleep).  Chances are when I power-on the computer again, the cycle starts over (no POST, fans to 100%).

I have no way to break this cycle except to keep turning it off, and powering it back on.  Sometimes it's the 2nd time... sometimes it's the 8th time... the computer will wakup up normally when clicking the power button (i.e., the computer will POST and then the operating system resumes).

This problem sounds very similar to this:

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=Tech_Talk_XPS&message.id=72365&query.id=216301#M72365

And I've tried flashing the BIOS to 1.0.5.  I've tried the Master Control Board Reset that Chris M suggested (also in the previous thread).  And I've flashed the firmware in the Master Control Board to A03.  Although I'm not sure the Master Control Board was flashed properly because of this problem (the NVidia control panel keeps insisting my firmware version is "22"):

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=Tech_Talk_XPS&message.id=86656&query.id=207836#M86656

Any other ideas? 

I've been on the phone with support for the past couple of days but had absolutely no success.

Thanks

3 Posts

November 10th, 2008 16:00

I have a similar problem with XPS730, which I'm using with the Dell 3007WFP monitor:

a) Dell 3007 off, computer turned on = boots ok

b) Dell 3007 in sleep mode, computer turned on = computer fans at 100%, no boot. If I hold the power button until the computer switches off, and then also turn the 3007 off by pressing the display's on/off button, the computer will boot when the power button is pressed again.

So, which is at fault - the 3007 monitor or the XPS730? The monitor worked flawlessly with my previous Dell.

At the moment the workaround is to always switch the monitor off manually but I'd prefer everything to work without my intervention if possible.

14 Posts

November 10th, 2008 20:00

I was able to isolate the cause of my problem.  And it sounds like your issue may be related.

I now have two XPS 730's.  Dell sent me the second computer when tech support couldn't figure out why the first was failing.

I was able to reproduce the same problem on the second computer-- sometimes when I try to wake up the computer the fans will rev to 100% and the computer will freeze *before* the post.  At this point I always power down (by unplugging the computer or holding the power button in) and then try again to wake up the computer.  On my original XPS 730 I could repeat this a few times and the computer would eventually boot properly.  On the new computer I power cycled *at least* 3 dozen times and I couldn't get the computer to wake up.  After hours of testing I found a workaround.

If I unplug the *second* monitor (I have dualview setup) from my GTX 280, and then try to wake-up the computer, the machine will wake up properly.  I spent hours testing both computers (letting them sleep and then waking them up).  I was able to prove on both computers that the problem only occurs when both monitors are plugged in.

This isn't a solution-- but at least I know the cause.

But why exactly is this?  A defect in the GTX 280?  A compatibility problem between the GTX 280 and the motherboard?  A BIOS problem?

I've escalated this with Dell Technical Support and should be getting a call back tomorrow. 

Chris M, are you out there?  Any ideas?

14 Posts

November 10th, 2008 21:00

I was able to isolate the cause of my problem.

I just received a second XPS 730.  Dell sent me the second one when tech support couldn't figure out why the first was failing.  I was able to reproduce the same problem on the second computer-- sometimes when I wakeup the computer the fans rev to 100% and the computer freezes *before* the POST.  At this point I normally power down the computer (by unplugging the machine or holding down the power button).  And then I try to wake up the computer again.  On the old computer I could repeat this (maybe a half dozen times) and the machine would eventually resume properly.  On the new computer I repeated this at least 3 *dozen* times and the computer would not wake up. 

After extensive trial-and-error testing I discovered that if I unplug the second monitor from my GTX 280 (I have dualview configured), the computer would wake normally.

I spent hours testing both machines with one and two monitors connected.  The problem does not manifest itself if only one monitor is connected to the computer.

This isn't a solution but at least I know the cause.

The question is, what's causing this? A problem with the GTX 280?  A compatibilty issue between the GTX 280 and the motherboard?  A BIOS problem?

I've escalated this with with tech support and should be getting another call back tomorrow.

Chris M, are you out there?  Any ideas?

14 Posts

November 11th, 2008 17:00

One more data point:

• I've confirmed that this occurs on a cold boot and not just when waking up the computer

A couple questions for you.  I have two Dell 2001FP monitors connected to my GTX 280.

How many monitors do you have connected?  Can you provide the model of each?

BTW, tech support didn't call back today-- supposed to be tomorrow.  We'll see.

11 Posts

Deleted duplicate Post

11 Posts

I have the same exact issue with my 30-day old XPS 730. it hangs upon waking from sleep mode without posting and with fans at 100% - no bios, no windows, just fans. I have to hard power-off with the power button exactly three times, and it will finally boot into bios and then windows.

I have the 9800GT, so it is not specific to any particular GPU.

I contemplated returning the computer but thought that Dell would come up with a fix, which has not been the case. Now with this new Dell Community sirte, it is difficult to even navigate - it is slow and error-ridden. I've spent hours on this and am extremely frustrated.

Thanks for the tip about the correlation to the monitors; I will try turning off my Dell 2407FPW prior to going into sleep mode and see if that has any effect.

Chris M, any help here?

5 Posts

November 11th, 2008 21:00

I have the same problem with my XPS630i.  I have to do hard power downs all the time to get it to wake up.  Then when it finally starts, I have to go into F2 set up to tell my computer it does not have a floppy drive, because it tries to look for it.  I'm sick of the computer not POSTing and having to going into the CMOS and resetting the clock and the boot order.  Chris, we need help on this one lots of people have it.

53 Posts

November 11th, 2008 21:00

Interesting problems, MY XPS 730 is almost 4 months old now and I have been experiencing the same problem. I have the 9800gx2 and I have two monitors hooked up a dell 2408 and a view sonic LCD.

Sadly I cannot test this theory right now because my 730 just died in the middle of playing a game. I am too tired and *** off to trouble shoot it right now. I should not be having this many problems with a system that cost me more than $4000.

3 Posts

November 12th, 2008 18:00

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE

Intel Core 2 Extreme Processor QX9650 (3.67Ghz Overclocked, 1333MHz FSB, 12MB cache)

Bios: 1.0.4

4096MB 1333 MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [4x1024]

Monitor 3007wfp

DUAL SLI 1GB nVidia GeForce GTX 280 graphics card

Hard Drive - 750GB (2x750GB) DataSafe Local Hard drive solution

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1 - English

16X DVD ROM Drive & 16X DVD+/-RW Drive (2 Drives)

Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme PCI Soundcard

11 Posts

Thanks for following up on this Roushrider. My configuration is as follows:

XPS 730 Intel Core2 Processor Q9550

BIOS: 1.0.5

Master Control Board Firmware: A03

Vista Home Premium 32-bit with SP1

NVidia GeForce 9800GT

4GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333 Mhz

Velociraptor 150 GB SATA HD (10KRPM)

(1) Dell 2407 FPW Monitor

14 Posts

Support called me back today.  They're checking on possible causes of this problem.  I understand that Chris M has been looped in.

In the meantime I've re-installed Vista on the original XPS 730 I purchased and successfully repro'd the problem.  So I've got a machine I can send back to Dell so that they can troubleshoot.

Configuration might matter, so if the other people who reported a problem could identify their configuration, it may help.  Mine is as follows:

XPS 730 Intel Core2 Processor Q9550

BIOS: 1.0.5

Master Control Board Firmware: A03 (Nvidia Control Panel reports "22")

Vista Home Premium 32-bit with SP1 (also repro's on Vista Ultimate 64-bit with SP1)

NVidia GeForce GTX 280

4GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1067 Mhz

300 GB SATA HD (10KRPM) VR150

(2) Dell 2001FP Monitors

Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000

Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 5000

Omnikey CardMan 3021 Smartcard Reader

Logitech Z-680 Speakers

APC BACK-UPS XS 1500 UPS

Microsoft VX-6000 Lifecam

5 Posts

November 13th, 2008 20:00

I'm pretty sure I solved the problem on my computer.  Go into power settings and under the Standby option select "never."  Since the computer seems to have a problem coming out of standby, dont let it.  If you have a desktop, I dont see any reason why you would want it to go into standby anyway.

14 Posts

November 13th, 2008 21:00

Not letting your computer to go to sleep may help (in my experience it will).  But I've also confirmed that the problem occurs on a cold boot.

Sleeping versus powering down is important for a lot of people-- including myself.  The main issue is power savings.  A related issue is that I need to be able to start-up the computer from other machines-- for backup, remote access, and media center access (among other reasons).  The only way to do this is to put the computer to sleep when it's not being used.

53 Posts

November 15th, 2008 09:00

Bostonharp, I find your response to be ignorant, furthermore it is not a solution to the problem.
Putting your computer to sleep saves power, reduces noise, and allows you to restart quickly and automate some tasks. I put my comuter to sleep because I am away most of the day and I want it to automatically wake up to record TV shows at certain times, once that is done I want it to go back to sleep. Leaving it on all that time while it not being used is an unecessary drain on power.

XPS 730 with X-View Sidepanel
Dead Intel Q5550 2.83GHZ quad core processor
4 GB 1333 Mhz Ram
Nvidia 9800 GX2
velocitiRaptor 160 GB HD
WD cavier Black 1TB HD
Bluray Burner
Dell Ultrasharp 2408 and ViewSonic 19inch LCD
Logitech G15 keyboard
Microsoft Sidewinder gaming Mouse
Soundblaster(D) gamer soundcard
ATI 650HD TV Tuner

11 Posts

November 15th, 2008 14:00

Not letting the computer go to sleep is not a solution, as I need and expect the computer to sleep and wake - besides, the problem occurs for me even on a full shutdown and subsequent cold boot.

One thing I have noticed is that the length of time bewteen sleep and wake is usually determinative of whether or not the problem occurs; if my computer goes to sleep and I wake it within 30 minutes or so, it usually wakes right up normally. However, any longer than that (and always overnight) it manifests the problem of no boot and 100% fans until I do multiple hard shut-downs.

Very frustrating...

No Events found!