Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 18th, 2009 21:00

XPS 730 - Lemon (Has anyone seen these problems)

My machine : Dell XPS-730 / H2C / Q9450 / 4GB DDR3 /2 x 9800GT / 2 x 74GB WD Raptors Raid-0 /500Gb /

Problems so far : Firstly the watercooling system leaked.

Dell Replaced cooling unit, 

Computer is crashing after 30 min of use, Check temperature 60 Degrees

System Diagnostics advise problem with CPU (Motherboard has coolant on it from the previous leaking cooling system)

Logged a Fault with Dell

Dell Replaced CPU + Motherboard

Computer is crashing after 1-2 min of running any application

CPU - Reports 80 Degrees Celcius !!!!

Logged Fault with Dell

Dell Replaced H2C unit again (this one was leaking as well, i have been unable to find many people experiencing leaking H2C systems)

System now runs at 60 Degrees under load, and 45 at idle (Ambient 10 degrees) but this is ok I have been advised by dell, but either way i am glad to have a system working

Rebooted machine last night, error NVIDIA raid control

Checked Bios for which drives were showing

CD-Rom + 1 WD Drive Showing (missing 1 x WD + 1 x 500GB)

Swapped SATA Cables between WD HDD's (still one showing, but this time its the other one, so i know there is no problems with that Sata Cable)

Tested the 500gb with a different sata cable (this one has not been used yet) did not find the drive.

Tested the 500gb with the CD-ROM Sata cable, it has found it.

All Sata cables are plugged in (After testing i only have 2 Sata ports that now work!)

Contacted Dell, who advised me they would send me a sata cable!! Seriously!! after debating with the consultant, he finally agreed that 4 sata cables do not die after a reboot

Dell has advised me the motherboard will be replaced in the next 3-5 days.

I have NBD Warrenty, i have never had to wait this long.

Other current issues : From Computer POST until windows Loads, the fans on the computer are spinning at crazy speeds (very loud)

After a reboot 50% of the time it advises : Press f1 to continue, or f2 to enter setup, because it has started in safe mode (post)

CPU is not overclocked

Will run Dell Diagnostics when I get home,

To think i went the lazy mans way of finally not building my own PC (over all the hassel's that can be involved),

Anyone had any similiar issues

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 18th, 2009 21:00

mwmclaren

As you are having all these problems and have a warranty, try requesting a XPS730 replacement PC.     :emotion-55:

Bev.

3 Posts

May 18th, 2009 22:00

I doubt Dell would send a new PC, they usually send a 'Refurbished' unit.

Dont mind either way, as long as it works, and its has equal specifications =D

Thanks

3 Posts

Computer is still under warranty

Didnt realise they would consider sending a new one.

If they do not fix it this time i will request it to be replaced. (Another call to that call centre "shutter")

Year Value Night/Weekend Onsite Service DELL 7/27/2008 7/27/2010 435
NBD (Next Business Day on-site) DELL 7/27/2009 7/27/2010 365
NBD (Next Business Day on-site) DELL 7/27/2008 7/27/2009 70
POW (Parts only Warranty) DELL 7/27/2009 7/27/2010 365
COMPLETECOVER COVERAGE PROGRAMME DELL 7/27/2008 7/27/2010 435
XPS 24x7 Phone Technical Support DELL 7/27/2008 7/27/2010 435
POW (Parts only Warranty) DELL 7/27/2008 7/27/2009 70
PCSWS2 DELL 7/27/2008 7/27/2009 70

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

mwmclaren

I doubt Dell would send a new PC, they usually send a 'Refurbished' unit.

If you request a replacement, you should 'persistently polite' with Dell about it.

Bev.

67 Posts

May 19th, 2009 06:00

Good luck to you, I have read where some people were successful in obtaining tower swaps etc...

In my case however I have asked a few times now and they have denied the option. I still am under warranty as well, plus I purchased a extended warranty for my machine. It has however gotten me no where with dell. I am approaching 2 months (7 weeks so far) of my computer not being able to even boot up. I had a CPU H2C pump failure, it took 6 weeks to get the parts...This is with next day service, if I was relying on this one computer for my home bussiness I would be bankrupt and living on the street now.

The tech replaced all the cooling components except the card fan that he couldnt figure out how to remove... Then the system tries to boot and dies at the dell splash screen. So he called up and reported the issues. I spoke to the person and request a tower swap again, this computer would not boot and needed a new mobo when I first received it but she said no they want to replace the mobo again. But she told me she  would call me back and offer compensation for all the hassle I have gone through. Of course she never called and worse I called up the next bussiness day and was told there was a problem with their internal tools and my parts were never ordered ... And now I have to wait another 3-5 days for them to ship...

6 Posts

March 5th, 2010 22:00

Mines been a lemon since day one.  If its not graphics card issue (i was able to solve this by turning off areo) its memory faults, lockups (no BSOD.. just freezes) .. you name it.  I've swapped the hard drive with a SSD, I've swapped the memory out with Corsair.. I've tried every different driver for everything.  I'm positive somethings screwy.  I have two of them.. the other one is rock solid.  Dell keeps sending parts.. but nothing resolves it.  Now i'm affraid that if they want to replace it they're going to send something 'similar' since its discontinued.  Nothing Dell makes is comparable anymore .. so they'd send a 6xx series.. argh. 

35 Posts

March 5th, 2010 23:00

To think i went the lazy mans way of finally not building my own PC (over all the hassel's that can be involved),

Believe it or not, dealing with Dell can be a bigger hassle than building your own machine. People just get very anxious about it, but it is not that difficult. Dell uses cheap stuff so it is no surprise it breaks often.

139 Posts

March 6th, 2010 15:00

Mines been a lemon since day one.  If its not graphics card issue (i was able to solve this by turning off areo) its memory faults, lockups (no BSOD.. just freezes) .. you name it.  I've swapped the hard drive with a SSD, I've swapped the memory out with Corsair.. I've tried every different driver for everything.  I'm positive somethings screwy.  I have two of them.. the other one is rock solid.  Dell keeps sending parts.. but nothing resolves it.  Now i'm affraid that if they want to replace it they're going to send something 'similar' since its discontinued.  Nothing Dell makes is comparable anymore .. so they'd send a 6xx series.. argh. 

some folks over on the my630i.com website have had theirs replace by dell with new alienware pc's.

No Events found!