Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 1st, 2009 05:00

XPS 730 - Nvidia System Tools, and "Front CPU Fan" VS "CPU Cooling" any ideas?

XPS 730 H2C, QX9770. Running Windows Vista x64. Nvidia System Tools 6.03.

The issue is, on the Nvidia System Tools Control Panel, on the Chassis Tab, there is a Front CPU Fan Control, that can be controlled when the fans are not set to Auto. The problem is that control does nothing to any of the fans.

The control that changes the CPU/Radiator fan up at the lower front, is on the CPU tab, and it is called "Cooling" THen is has a 0-100% Slider next to CPU.

This one controls the fan down there, but it ALWAYS seems to stay at 0%, even when CPU temps rise.

Is this normal, could it be a System Tools version issue, or Vista x64 issue?

Any ideas?

9 Posts

January 1st, 2009 16:00

Ok just tried that,  I see 13 items in the XPS Thermal Monitor.

I made a Custom Profile, and unchecked Enable Automatic Fan Control, but I can only change the RPMs for "Rear CPU Fan", "PCI Cage Fan" and "HDD Fan".

But "Front CPU Fan" has no options besides being able to undock the monitor.

Any ideas?

141 Posts

January 1st, 2009 16:00

xendrome,

I have removed the Nvidia ESA software from my PCs (XPS 730x, 730, 630). I use the Dell Thermal Monitor  application to tweak the fans and use the Dell AlienFX  application to control the LEDs. The only reason I would reinstall the Nvidia ESA software is if I had to load a MIO board firmware. Once the Dell Thermal Monitor application was loaded I ran it. On the bottom, I created a new Profile, and changed the bottom Front CPU fan from 7% to 100%, hit apply, it ran up to 100%. I then backed it down to 7%.

141 Posts

January 1st, 2009 23:00

I do not see an option to change the Rear CPU Fan? I see it on the top row but it is not lighted up meaning you cannot change it.

I can change the following XPS 630 fan speeds using the XPS 730X Dell XPS Thermal Monitor application -
HDD Fan
PCI Cage Fan

I can change the following XPS 730 fan speeds using the XPS 730X Dell XPS Thermal Monitor application -
Front CPU Fan
HDD Fan
PCI Cage Fan

I can change the following XPS 730X fan speeds using the XPS 730X Dell XPS Thermal Monitor application -
Front CPU Fan
HDD Fan
PCI Cage Fan

9 Posts

January 2nd, 2009 04:00

"I can change the following XPS 730 fan speeds using the XPS 730X Dell XPS Thermal Monitor application -
Front CPU Fan
HDD Fan
PCI Cage Fan"

Weird... you have Front, and I have Rear, yet same system XPS 730, latest bios, latest ESA Firmware....

Could something be hooked up wrong on the MCB?

9 Posts

January 3rd, 2009 19:00

bump bump, anyone else have any ideas why "Front CPU Fan" control isn't working in Thermal Monitor? Anyone else running a 730 with x64 and the x64 version of the Dell Thermal Monitor, let me know what fans you can control....

9 Posts

January 13th, 2009 16:00

Anyone? Any ideas?! Can someone else check theirs and give me some feedback on what they can control?

3 Posts

January 17th, 2009 14:00

I have a 730 and I can control:

- Front CPU Fan (changing this slider doesn't seem to have any effect, just like you said. I think there might be a unused fan connector on the mainboard)

- Rear CPU Fan

- PCI Cage Fan

- HDD Fan

Under the CPU tab I can also change the front fan values from 0% to 100%. I always kept it at 0% and it doesn't seem to come on automatically.

I have the latest drivers, bios and ESA-firmware and I'm running Vista 64bit Ultimate. I've also tried Vista 32bit Premium but everything was the same.

Since you're experiencing the exact same issues, I think we're both fine and it's supposed to be like that.

This is not concerning your issues but might also be of interest to you: I spoke with XPS support this morning about the CPU pump value in nVidia system monitor under the chassis tab being always at 100% and he also told me that was normal and it cannot be overridden or set to any other value in any way.

I hope that helps,

Chris

63 Posts

February 10th, 2009 12:00

Sorry to bump an older thread, but reading through the thread, is this image correct?

No front fan control...

Only Rear CPU, PCI cage and HD can be adjusted?

Also can any one confirm that my core temps of (core 1  52C core 2 51C core 3 53C core 4 48C) are ok, they seem a little high for a H2C.

The "cpu" temp from everest reads 26C which would be fine, but the cores are much higher, is this normal?

Many thanks for any answers.

3 Posts

February 10th, 2009 14:00

Sorry to bump an older thread, but reading through the thread, is this image correct?

No front fan control...

Only Rear CPU, PCI cage and HD can be adjusted?

Also can any one confirm that my core temps of (core 1  52C core 2 51C core 3 53C core 4 48C) are ok, they seem a little high for a H2C.

The "cpu" temp from everest reads 26C which would be fine, but the cores are much higher, is this normal?

Many thanks for any answers.

All your temps are fine. The cores in Everest are always higher than the cpu reading.

In xps thermal monitor there's also no front fan control. You can set it in nvidia control panel but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Another thing I always wondered is why the pump speed in nvidia monitor (chassis tab, bottom right) is always at 100% even

when the cpu is without any heavy workload.

I overclocked the cpu in BIOS to 4Ghz and ran a stress test and the pump is indeed speeding up as the temperatures begin to rise.

The nvidia monitor pump speed reading always stays the same. I think it's a software issue.

The H2C does an amazing job at keeping the cpu cool. It is true that when the cpu isn't under much load that the temps seem similar

to good air cooler but when your overclocking and the pump speeds up, your temps begin to drop dramatically.

If you want to feel the second cooling stage (TEC cooling unit) kicking in:

1. Overclock your cpu (4Ghz is fine)

2. Go into nvidia control panel and put the cpu cooling slider to 100%

3. Now run a stress test for a few minutes

4. Turn of the stress test and touch the metal tubing part of your H2C.

It is getting cooler than ambient temp.

Hope that helps a bit,

Chris

63 Posts

February 10th, 2009 14:00

Thats great, as long as things are normal..

Thanks very much

Regards

No Events found!