Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2008 18:00

XPS 730 sound problems

I'm sure this has been discussed several times but I can't find a stright answer for my problem. Please excuse this and try to help me!!!

I have a new XPS 730 and some games/applications click or pop sound occasionally. I am yet to find wahat triggers the programs to do this i.e. audio console settings etc.

I would like to try updating the driver for the sound card but it is called a Creative SB X-Fi and the Creative site doesnt actually have this card listed on the download page!

Can anyone point me to a newer/newest driver for the card.

Many thanks

13 Posts

September 28th, 2008 19:00

I have the latest BIOS. PC is brand new. I have however discovered that the Creative drivers are old (dated Jan 2008)

Just downlaoding the new driver and suite now, not from your link though as the following link here:  http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=1&CatName=Sound+Blaster&subCatID=208&subCatName=X-Fi&prodID=15853&prodName=X-Fi+XtremeGamer states the Soundblaster X-Fi in its details.

Will give this a whirl, otherwise looks like a different card???!!!!?!?!!

313 Posts

September 28th, 2008 19:00

Do you have Bios Revision 1.0.4? this sorted the issue out for me, if tthis dosent work i beleve the card is an Xfi extreme Audio, it may not llok like it but the cards Dell give you are specifically built for Dell, try those drivers, however this problem has been around for years and most people dont have a solution, try the new bios, it sorted mine out!

Bios: http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=&SystemID=XPS_730&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Creative Driver http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=1&CatName=Sound+Blaster&subCatID=208&subCatName=X-Fi&prodID=15855&prodName=X-Fi+Xtreme+Audio

Message Edited by hbk123 on 09-28-2008 09:11 PM
Message Edited by hbk123 on 09-28-2008 09:13 PM

289 Posts

September 28th, 2008 20:00

Have you checked the the Dell site for ugrades to your sound card?

306 Posts

September 28th, 2008 21:00

I solved my X-Fi problems by removing the card and using the onboard Realtek chip. No more problems since I did that. Plus it sounds better with my better than average sound system connected to this computer.

53 Posts

September 29th, 2008 03:00

I had the sound issue with my XPS 730, however the 1.0.4 bios update did solve the problem.

Just because the computer is brand new does not mean that it has the latest bios. My computer was brand new also and it came with the 1.0.2 bios while at that time the latest bios on Dell's website was 1.0.3.

I just got my motherboard replaced with the new* motherboard from Dell last week and it also had the 1.0.2 bios.

The soundcard is the Creative xtremeGamer sound card and the drives on creative site does work for it. The picture on the create website of the xtremegame is a low profile card, but as mention in this thread the Dell card were cutomized for Dell, but the chip is the same.

You can get the drivers here: http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=1&CatName=Sound+Blaster&subCatID=208&subCatName=X-Fi&prodID=15853&prodName=X-Fi+XtremeGamer# The lastest driver are from july 2008, but they will NOT solve the sound crackling problems while gaming.

13 Posts

September 29th, 2008 09:00

Motherboard is latest BIOS version 1.0.4, driver update seems to have fxed the issue in some games.

Worth pointing out though, that when the sound starts to click crackle and pop, games stutter severely, possible framerate drop noticed aswell. Bizarre

418 Posts

September 29th, 2008 23:00

@MayHalen wrote:

Motherboard is latest BIOS version 1.0.4, driver update seems to have fxed the issue in some games.

Worth pointing out though, that when the sound starts to click crackle and pop, games stutter severely, possible framerate drop noticed aswell. Bizarre

By chance is your sound card on the same IRQ as your Nvidia cards?  Mine was and I moved the sound card to another slot.  This forced the IRQ to change from 16 to 17.  My Nvidia cards were on IRQ 16.  I no longer get the SOD but I still do get the popping from time to time but it no longer affects anything else. 

13 Posts

September 30th, 2008 10:00

How do I find this and indeed change it if nessecary?!?!

I have the creative card in the Pci slot that would be at the bottom of the motherboard. (bear in mind the 730 motherboard is upside down, top slot looking at the board as it is!!!)

The 2 gx2's are in slots 1 and 2...? 

13 Posts

October 8th, 2008 19:00

Sad News!!!!! Glad News!!!

After more annoying and frankly pathetic sound problems on a rather expensive PC I have decided to rip out and destroy the Soundblaster.

Reverting to the onboard audio has remarkably improved my audio and gaming performance. 

No Events found!