Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2008 08:00

XPS 730x General Hardware Discussion thread

Use this linked thread in the Desktop FAQ to discuss XPS 730x hardware and performance tweaks and issues.

313 Posts

May 12th, 2009 13:00

Go to start then right click 'My Computer' then go to manage, then go Disk Management, then check if the Hard Drive is 'activated' if it is then it will be blue if not it will be black, to 'activate' it, right click and click the button 'Mark Partition As Active', it should then work.

13 Posts

Sorry for the budge....I have a 920 system and have installed a new WD re-3 hard drive. Windows/system doesn't recognize it so it can be formatted. When I initially boot my system I see it recognized in one of the first screens that pops up. It doesn't show in the Device Manager under disk drives. I searched around in Windows help and found that my DMA controller was disabled. Would turning that on enable the system to recognize the new hd?

I have the Intel Matrix Storage Manager installed on my system from factory and wanted to have a mirrored raid setup. When I select actions in the Manager a pop-up window shows  that a Raid volume can't be created for a number of reasons even though it sees the installed new hd. Formatting seems to be the issue or just recognizing the hd.?

I have any info needing saving already on an external drive.

I'm a bit of a newbie at this stuff.  Thanks for any input.

13 Posts

It doesn't show up in disc management? I get a disc showing; Healthy  ( EISA configuration), Recovery D 2 GB NTFS Healthy (Primary partition), and OS C 277 GB Healthy

( System,boot,.....,primary partition)?

13 Posts

May 12th, 2009 14:00

I don't have any IDE/ATA etc controllers showing up in my Device Manager. Is this a problem?

May 12th, 2009 18:00

Virtue,

Thank you for the information you posted.  It is all very valuable to me, as I have been trying to fix my Sleep/wakeup issue, and it's nice to know I don't need to waste any more time!

I will also look at the CAB-200 with regards to the slow boot.

And, your recommendations on the i920 overclocking are interesting and I will try them out.  If that is the case, I am definitely wasting power now!  :)

Thanks again.

UPDATE:  It appears that the Sleep issue for non-stock BCLK speeds was fixed by Asus for their P6T board via a BIOS update.  I would hope (expect) that Dell will quickly fix this problem via a BIOS update also.  

May 13th, 2009 08:00

Another "find" that some might find interesting.  In almost any other situation, you cannot clone a drive (Vista) that was set to AHCI to a RAID set with an onboard Intel RAID.  It wouldn't boot, and there is no way around it (from what I could find).

Interestingly, I was able to clone a single AHCI drive from my XPS 730x to a RAID 0 stripe set on the 730x, remove the original drive, and boot successfully from the RAID 0 set!  I did this on TWO different 730x systems, so I don't think it is a fluke.  Somehow the drivers are already installed for RAID and AHCI !!

The XPS 730x makes RAID migration a simple task!  (not as simple as some magical automatic migration, though).  BTW, I used GHOST to do the cloning and made sure I had the partition on the RAID set already created and aligned.  Then I just did a partition-to-partition clone.

Works great and now I'm getting an average of 415Mb/s read on two Vertex SSD's!!

5 Posts

May 13th, 2009 08:00

Would someone be so kind to put togather a quick guide on how to get RAID started on the 730x? 

13 Posts

May 13th, 2009 09:00

Hi Ray, the connector (fan header) next to the memory slots (near the bottom of the motherboard, to the right of the memory) is for the CPU fan cable coming from the Master Control Board. It is not a jumper pin set.

There are two black cables running along the bottom of the case right near where the motherboard edge is. One cable goes to the back of the case and is for the back (lower) LED strip. The other goes to the MB header you mention.  The cable you are looking for should be looped around a black cable-stay on the case bottom (and that cable is apparently not connected to anything right now). That cable is a bit longer than it needs to be - which is why it is looped to hold the extra length.

If you cannot see the end of that cable then it is probably trapped under the motherboard. It likes to fall under there when replacing the board. If it is under the board it is best to remove the board again so as not to pull the end of the cable off trying to get it out.

If your new motherboard was set-up for air-cooled then it would have had a fan over the Southbridge, and the tech removed (and unplugged) that fan. There is nothing to plug back into that fan header when using the H2C - but that header is up just to the right of the Southbridge. There is a second fan header used for air-cooling (that would have been used for the fan inside the air-cool heatsink shroud). It is on the LED strip on the back of the case (near the IO shield) that does not get used when using the H2C either.

However, the white header you mention - near the motherboard bottom and to the right of the memory slots - which looks exactly like the two other open fan headers just mentioned - MUST be connected whether using the air-cooled or H2C solution.

The strange thing is that you mention the BIOS message goes by very quickly. It should be stopping and asking you to hit F1 to continue or F2 to enter Setup. Also all fans should be running on high and all lights should be on default if that cable is not connected. Must be that was changed in this BIOS upgrade. The message should be "Alert! CPU fan missing or cable not connected. Hit F1 to continue or F2 to enter Setup."

Anyway unless the connector you need is caught under the MB you should see it by just looking along the bottom edge of the MB. It's a three strand black wire with a white connector on the end. The connector has two guide slots that match with a plastic tab sticking up on the header so you can’t put the cable on wrong.

Bob

OK, thanks Bob. I'm not in front of the system right now but I will check this when I get home tonight.

-Ray

17 Posts

May 13th, 2009 20:00

Hi Dahermitt, have you read the ‘Working With RAID’ section of the Dell Technology Guide for the 730x?

That Section starts on page 83 of the Guide. 

If you have specific questions after reading that please Post them.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xlob/dtg/en/en_dtg.pdf

Bob

May 16th, 2009 07:00

Hello, My XPS 730x i7 940 will be arriving next week and i had some questions as to certain upgrades for it ( i am going to buy a few things rather than upgrade thru Dell because it is cheaper )

Anyways, I am looking to upgrade the Video card and Ram.

If i am not mistaken the 730x comes with 1066MHZ ram. What ram do i need? what MHZ? and will i benefit ANYTHING from the upgrade at all? should i just stick with whqat it comes with or is there a better option?

and as for a video card i am looking to get the EVGA 01G-P3-1285-AR GeForce GTX 285 SC Edition 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16, I assume this is the correct card for the 730x?

I also had a few more questions. I have the i7 940 ( AIR COOLED NOT H2C system ) am i able to overclock the system at all? or no? is over clocking only available on the H2C systems and the systems that are factory overclocked?

Also, if anyone could comment or suggest any other upgrades that i can order so that way it could arrive at the same time my 730x does that would be great.

Any advice or comments would be great, thanks for your time!

Congrats on your new system!  You'll love it (once you get the bugs worked out!).

YES, you can overclock a 920 or 940 based 730x air-cooled system.  Your only recourse for doing so is by bumping UP the main reference clock (BCLK).  This, in turn, increases the speed of other components, namely your RAM, so YES, you should upgrade your RAM to DDR3-1600 RAM.

I have used, and recommend, either CORSAIR TR3X6G1600C8G (a 6GB kit) or OCZ 6GB kit (OCZ3X1600LV6GK).  Both work great, and run very cool, even overclocked.

With my i7-920 system set with a BCLK of 180Mhz, by RAM is running at about 1400 with super fast timings of 7-7-7-1T, and my CPU is running between 3.6 and 3.8Ghz (nonturbo and turbo, respectively).

As far as video cards go, my supplied cards are fine (SLI'd 9800's and a single GTX 280 1GB) in both my XPS 730x systems, so I'm not in the market to upgrade, but that card you referenced should be fine.  Maybe a more hardcore gamer could chime in there and bless that card or recommend something better?

Good luck!

30 Posts

Hello, My XPS 730x i7 940 will be arriving next week and i had some questions as to certain upgrades for it ( i am going to buy a few things rather than upgrade thru Dell because it is cheaper )

Anyways, I am looking to upgrade the Video card and Ram.

If i am not mistaken the 730x comes with 1066MHZ ram. What ram do i need? what MHZ? and will i benefit ANYTHING from the upgrade at all? should i just stick with whqat it comes with or is there a better option?

and as for a video card i am looking to get the EVGA 01G-P3-1285-AR GeForce GTX 285 SC Edition 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16, I assume this is the correct card for the 730x?

I also had a few more questions. I have the i7 940 ( AIR COOLED NOT H2C system ) am i able to overclock the system at all? or no? is over clocking only available on the H2C systems and the systems that are factory overclocked?

Also, if anyone could comment or suggest any other upgrades that i can order so that way it could arrive at the same time my 730x does that would be great.

Any advice or comments would be great, thanks for your time!

5 Posts

hi everyone, how many ram can i upgrade in the future ? can it really support 12 GB of ram ?

thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 16th, 2009 11:00

Memory 6GB Max
F680F 1GB PC3-8500,1067Mhz,128X64
Y996D 2GB PC3-8500,1067Mhz,256X64
PP403 1GB PC3-12800,1600Mhz,128X64 (Vendor: QIMONDA)
H345K 1GB PC3-12800,1600Mhz,128X64 (Vendor: CORSAIR)
N046F 2GB PC3-12800,1600Mhz,128X64
F891K 2GB PC3-12800,1600Mhz,256X64
PC3-10600 1333Mhz and PC3-14400 1800Mhz - We have no plans to add support for this memory. You can try but we cannot guarantee functionality.

5 Posts

May 16th, 2009 14:00

Memory 6GB Max
F680F 1GB PC3-8500,1067Mhz,128X64
Y996D 2GB PC3-8500,1067Mhz,256X64
PP403 1GB PC3-12800,1600Mhz,128X64 (Vendor: QIMONDA)
H345K 1GB PC3-12800,1600Mhz,128X64 (Vendor: CORSAIR)
N046F 2GB PC3-12800,1600Mhz,128X64
F891K 2GB PC3-12800,1600Mhz,256X64
PC3-10600 1333Mhz and PC3-14400 1800Mhz - We have no plans to add support for this memory. You can try but we cannot guarantee functionality.

hi, thanks for your replied,

i just want to understand why it only support 6 GB ?

53 Posts

May 16th, 2009 15:00

Yes I am curious also why only 6gb?

With Vista 64 Ultimate it should be able to handle much more than 6gb.

No Events found!