tasonis
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 730x General Hardware Discussion thread

When installing the ATI drivers I noticed EAH4850 as a model and when looking up that model number I found that these are ASUS products. Can someone verify? Also, there is a bios update on ASUS' website for the EAH4850 product that enables crossfire. Crossfire seems to be working on my system but I'd like to clarify if the cards are indeed made by ASUS and if we can apply said update (are they already up to date?) or must we wait for the Dell release to avoid any warranty violations?

Tags (3)
jsimon9633
1 Nickel

mine were read as Asus as well

as far as bios if yours are working fine, dont mess with it

bios can only cause issues

XPS730X
2 Iron

I wish Dell would update this Bios on the 730X because it is a slow as anything I have encountered.  Almost makes you not want to reboot. 

junior06
2 Iron

Does anyone have any pictures of the inside of the case they can send me?

thx

XPS 730X
Intel i7 Extreme CPU 965 @ 3.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.42GH
3062MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 OC 1024
Creative SB X-Fi Titanium    
Hauppauge WinTV     
Windows Vista™ Home Premium 64bit

XPS 1330M

XPS 1530

Numerous 2950 Servers

VonCarlos
1 Nickel

WabeWalker100
1 Nickel

I'm thinking about buying the XPS 730X. So, some questions:

1) Somebody said to me that Dell will solder the CPU onto the motherboard, meaning that you can't simply replace the CPU. True of False? If false, would it be extremely easy to replace the i7-920 with a faster, newer i7, say, 18 months from now? (I can replace a video card easily enough - so would I be able to replace a CPU?)

2) I'm in Vancouver, Canada. From the time that Dell actually ships the PC, how long would it take for it to arrive at my home? 

3) Also, how long is the present waitlist for the XPS 730X?

XPS730X
2 Iron

How did this forum go from 18 pages to 83 pages in a day?

MoneyGuyBK
5 Iridium

How did this forum go from 18 pages to 83 pages in a day?

Because the RE-newed (again) AND RE-improved (again) Dell Community (DC) has now moved (back to - again) to having 3 posts (replies) per page (again) ............... Wait for the next Re-Re-improvement !!!

Sorry Chris, I could not help myself.

Peace

Joshuasjeep
2 Bronze

I'm thinking about buying the XPS 730X. So, some questions:

1) Somebody said to me that Dell will solder the CPU onto the motherboard, meaning that you can't simply replace the CPU. True of False? If false, would it be extremely easy to replace the i7-920 with a faster, newer i7, say, 18 months from now? (I can replace a video card easily enough - so would I be able to replace a CPU?)

2) I'm in Vancouver, Canada. From the time that Dell actually ships the PC, how long would it take for it to arrive at my home? 

3) Also, how long is the present waitlist for the XPS 730X?

1) Whoever told you that is clueless. Period. It would be relatively simple to replace the CPU unless you are a complete novice (i.e. you have never replaced a CPU before). Even if you are, there are plenty of guides, including one that comes with the unit to illustrate the procedure.

2) I would imagine that shipping would not take more than a few (3-5) days. The majority of the wait is not shipping - its the assembly/build.

3) Not sure. mine was maybe 2-3 weeks from order to delivered.

WabeWalker100
1 Nickel

Okay, thanks.

I thought that was a lot of nonsense about the CPU being soldered onto the motherboard. People always say that Dell power supplies are under-powered as well - but when I installed a new graphics card on my Dimension I discovered it was the exact opposite.

It's difficult to understand why some people are so dead set against Dell. It doesn't give them the excuse to make stuff up though, which is something I see happening all the time, even at hardware forums, where people should know better (some of the worst offenders are the hardware forum people!)  

Anyhow, I'm in Canada, and I'm just waiting now for the 23'rd of January to arrive, since Dell will be offering a new set of options for the XPS 730X. I'm hoping to see a GTX 295 option, or a 285 option. I'm also hoping that there might be some kind of a sale on the remaining GTX 280 cards. From what I've read of the i7 platform, it just begs for a GTX 280 SLI setup.

Costly though.