Richsi
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 730x H2C loses power / resets / reboots "randomly"...

Hey owl4595, I returned my system and they picked it up today (they said UPS, but it was a trucking company). That bothers me because now I can't track the shipment, it could take weeks to get back to Dell and I won't know when and where. The truck company didn't even have a label for the package they said they would make one up when they take it back to their warehouse (now I really worried). I wouldn't praise Dell yet, until you seen the money in the bank! I have heard to many bad things about how Dell is treating their customers and returning money is high on the list for not being fast or accurate. Hope we come out of this alive. I cannot believe Dell is selling a product like this, it's killing them how can anyone in there right mind want to purchase a gaming computer from Dell? GO AHEAD, you'll be SORRY! I wrote a review on their website but I haven't see it posted yet, don't think they will either since they decide who posts and who doesn't, not a very honest way of reviewing ones product now is it!

0 Kudos
VonCarlos
1 Nickel

I'm wondering if folks have checked all the various connections in their XPS case. With all the tumbling and banging that goes on with shipping, there might be a common connection that doesn't seat correctly.

Also, has anyone checked the voltages out of the PSU with a meter?

0 Kudos
Richsi
1 Nickel

Interesting question "VonCarlos". I happen to be a retired electricial, instrument tech and computer tech later before retiring. When testing devices such as these it's best to have schematics and drawings for pin-outs and related technical drawings. I'm sure, no I'm positive Dell wouldn't provide them to their customers. The funny part is checking these things should be routine for their Tech's...Heck the Tech they sent to me didn't even have enough tools (he had to borrow mine, shipped from Dell with the computer) to do his job let alone have a Digital voltmeter. They are parts replacers not board level troubleshooters. I wonder if Dell even have board level Tech's...Just change parts out until it works if it doesn't "OH WELL", must keep making them and shipping them out....MONEY MONEY MONEY! Yes we did check all the connections, the computer inside is built pretty solid the parts are pretty secure. They have a more serious problem and it doesn't seem to me that they are interested in solving it and making their customers happy. Heck, I sent mine back and so have other in this thread and still nothing is being addressed! Sorry way to make money, I don't know how they stay in business???

0 Kudos
VonCarlos
1 Nickel

Hey Richsi, I'm also a former computer robotics tech. I can remember the days when we would "bit-bang" our way around a path to find a problem. I'm afraid those days are long gone. Techs these days are just parts-swappers and most don't have any solid troubleshooting skills.
You didn't say if you had checked the voltages on the PSU. I know you would know this, but for those that don't, you have to actually test the voltages on the connectors with a VOM. One cannot rely on software readouts to test voltages.

0 Kudos
Richsi
1 Nickel

Nope VonCarlos I didn't test anything on the inside. I paid for 4 yrs of warranty, 4 yrs of accidentalcare and 1 yr of "My TECH Team" so I don't figure I should be inside the box messing around with their problems and issues. The best thing to do at this point is send it back if you have issues before the 21 days are up. If you don't you will be stuck with it for good, fixed or not! My opinion of course! GOOD LUCK

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Darrell WV
3 Silver

Not meaning to barge into this conversation, as I have just a plain old 730 H2C, with only a QX9650 OC to 3.67, but IMHO Richsi seems on the correct tract.  My system has the same random shut downs, ran the same diagnostic, got the 2000-0123 red herring (which tech support in FL said was not the real issue after taking each memory module out and puting into DIM #1 and rerunning the diagnositc for each module). 

They are replacing the cooling unit, CPU and fans this Sat. morning.  The main difference is that my system did not start the random shut downs and BSOD until months after I bought the system, but it has progressed over these past few weeks.

I will be watching the 730X board more closely now.

Darrell WV

0 Kudos
owl4595
1 Nickel

I'm running now with "Turbo mode" (over-clocking) turned off and the machine is at a stock 3.2 GHz.  Tonight after about 1 hour of "Far Cry 2" it rebooted.  CPU temps were around 50 C.   So, as "LoveReason" said (has a I7 720), it isn't the overclocking or H2C for that matter...

Darrell WV:  I'm not sure that it is the same problem but it sounds like the behavior is the same.  If it is the same then that puts a new light on this as your system has a different motherboard, memory and CPU.  However, if this is the first report of the 730 (not 730x) having this problem it may be apples and oranges.  If we include your case with all the 730x's these are the differences from all of our systems that randomly reboot:

Differences:

- CPU (some I7 and now a Quad Core 2)

- Some are overclocked and some are not

- Memory type (tri channel vs dual)

- Motherboard

- H2C and Aircooled

- OS, Vista Home Premium x64, Vista Ultimate 64, XP x64 (may be some 32 bitters in their too...)

- Video Card (both ATI HD4870x2 and Nvidia 280)

- Hard drives

The question is:  What is the same between the systems?  Power supply?  DVD Burner?  19 in 1 card reader?  Just throwing stuff out...

0 Kudos
tom455
1 Nickel

It wouldn't hurt to try unpluging the card reader. See if that solves the problem.

System 1

Antec 900 case, Intel Core i7 965, Antec Signature 650 power supply, G.SKILL 6GB DDR3 DDR3 1600,Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1800 MCE Kit (tv tuner),SAMSUNG  SH-S202N,Vista Ultimate 64-bit,GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 X58 Motherboard, 2 WD6401AALS 640GB (raid), 8600gt gpu

System 2 Dell 8400 3.4ghz cpu, 4gb ram.

0 Kudos
Kuni1987
1 Copper

WOW! so how is this for interesting.....

i've been monitoring this forum for the last 5-6 days now... with my XPS purchase literally on hold. I have the dell sales representative from India calling me everyday just asking for my approval to put the order through... and i keep putting him off simply because im hoping that this problem that yall are having is quickly resolved..

I then log on to dell's website this morning to re-configure another xps 730x set up only because i know that they had new deals coming out this morning and i wanted to see if i could get a better one.. only to find that there is no XPS 730x H2C setup that is being offered, There is no option for the Core I7 965 extreme processor, or the H2C cooling system (unless you select the medium 730x) odd hey???

anyone think this is because of all the problems you've been having. Maybe they dont want to sell anymore and then end up with the headace of having them all returned again? or am i totally reading into things here?

Now im not sure what to do. I have the Core I7 940, H2c Cooling, 6gb DDR3 RAM, ATI HD4870x2, 1TB HDD all on hold.... and i managed to convince them to throw in the 2408W monitor to... FOR FREE.

Part of me doesnt want to loose this deal... but the other part of me doesnt wand to waste $4000 on a comp that is gonna break on me... what do i do?

My other Qu is... Is this problem happening to all XPS 730x's because in all the reviews that i've read (esp. the detailed HotHardware Review) they didnt encounter anyproblem...? I have a feeling its a sporadic problem and i kinda just want to take my chances... any suggestions?

0 Kudos
tom455
1 Nickel

WOW! so how is this for interesting.....

i've been monitoring this forum for the last 5-6 days now... with my XPS purchase literally on hold. I have the dell sales representative from India calling me everyday just asking for my approval to put the order through... and i keep putting him off simply because im hoping that this problem that yall are having is quickly resolved..

I then log on to dell's website this morning to re-configure another xps 730x set up only because i know that they had new deals coming out this morning and i wanted to see if i could get a better one.. only to find that there is no XPS 730x H2C setup that is being offered, There is no option for the Core I7 965 extreme processor, or the H2C cooling system (unless you select the medium 730x) odd hey???

anyone think this is because of all the problems you've been having. Maybe they dont want to sell anymore and then end up with the headace of having them all returned again? or am i totally reading into things here?

Now im not sure what to do. I have the Core I7 940, H2c Cooling, 6gb DDR3 RAM, ATI HD4870x2, 1TB HDD all on hold.... and i managed to convince them to throw in the 2408W monitor to... FOR FREE.

Part of me doesnt want to loose this deal... but the other part of me doesnt wand to waste $4000 on a comp that is gonna break on me... what do i do?

My other Qu is... Is this problem happening to all XPS 730x's because in all the reviews that i've read (esp. the detailed HotHardware Review) they didnt encounter anyproblem...? I have a feeling its a sporadic problem and i kinda just want to take my chances... any suggestions?

I just checked Dell's site. The XPS 730x H2C is still for sale. Check it again.

System 1

Antec 900 case, Intel Core i7 965, Antec Signature 650 power supply, G.SKILL 6GB DDR3 DDR3 1600,Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1800 MCE Kit (tv tuner),SAMSUNG  SH-S202N,Vista Ultimate 64-bit,GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 X58 Motherboard, 2 WD6401AALS 640GB (raid), 8600gt gpu

System 2 Dell 8400 3.4ghz cpu, 4gb ram.

0 Kudos