Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

March 18th, 2017 12:00

XPS 8300 Graphics Card Fan Died

My computer was randomly turning off as though the power cord had been pulled.   No blue screen.  No error messages.  No reboot.   It would just turn itself off.   Dead.   This took place after a power outage, so I assumed that it had been damaged by a brown out or a power spike even though I had a power strip on it, but no UPS.   It would pass all hardware checks, but would eventually turn itself off.  

After much googling and research, I finally realized that the fan had died on the graphics card, and it was overheating.   I found a cool tool, CPUID HWMonitor that I downloaded, and I could actually watch the temperature rise on the card.   

Sooooo.....replace the card, easy right?   Well, apparently this model of Dell is pretty picky about what will run.   Dell has posted on this forum the cards that have been tested on this computer.   I found many of these are only available used on Ebay.  Some are still out there but pricey.  I'm also running Windows 10 and wanted to make sure I could get drivers for Windows 10.    

I tried a GEFORCE GTX 730 from a friend, and the computer wouldn't post (start up).  Found elsewhere where this card is incompatible.   I upgraded my BIOS from A03 to A06.  (Others had done this.)  I don't know if this is required for some of the newer cards.  

I read where the GEFORCE GTX 1050 cards were working.  I purchased this one:  EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 SSC GAMING ACX 3.0, 2GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC) (02G-P4-6154-KR) .   I'm not a gamer so I didn't need the power of some of the more expensive cards.   This one is in the middle price-wise and capability.   

I put the card in.  The computer booted with generic drivers.   I downloaded the driver from the EVGA site, and I'm up in running.   

I hope this helps someone.

Laurie

No Responses!
No Events found!