Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 29th, 2015 08:00

XPS 8300 Replacement Motherboard RAM Problem

Hello, I purchased a replacement motherboard from Dell for my late-2010 XPS 8300 after it stopped booting and gave me three beeps and the flashing amber power button. I installed the new motherboard. The PC would not turn on and was giving me four beeps and a flashing amber power button. I searched and found that this relates to the RAM. I removed two of the four RAM sticks and was able to boot up the PC. Unfortunately, it will not boot with any RAM in two of the four RAM slots. How do I fix this? Do I need to exchange the board?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 29th, 2015 14:00

Jvreedenburgh

Have you replaced any memory modules recently?

What is your memory configuration?

Try removing all the memory modules, reinstall one module in DIMM1, [page 11 of the owners manual] and restart the computer, if the system does not boot, install the module in different slots, one at a time, rebooting the system each time.

Still does not boot, then use a different module and repeat the process.

Continue until you have identified any faulty modules [or slot] or reinstalled all modules without error.

Then if the computer still does not start, it's possible that the motherboard has issues and needs to be replaced.

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-8300_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

June 30th, 2015 16:00

@Jvreedenburgh,

Shesagordie outlines a great process for narrowing this down a tad further. If you're still having the issue after Shesagordie's steps, feel free to add me as a friend. After I accept I'll send you a PM and we can look into our exchange options. 

No Events found!