Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 9th, 2015 12:00

XPS 8300 upgrade

Hello- I’d like to upgrade my XPS 8300 (6 GB of RAM, I7 2600 CPU and 1 TB HD, MB Dell 0Y2RMG), which is getting now very slow. My OS is a preinstalled Windows 7 home but I don’t have the CD to reinstall it (and I don’t want to format the PC). My idea was to add extra RAM and a 500 GB SSD disk where I’d load the OS and the main programs I use. I was thinking to clone with some software (maybe the one provided with SSD) the entire content of the current HD (now is less than 400 GB) in the SSD, and then move all the other data to the old HD. I’ve seen elsewhere that only SATA port 1 have the benefit of the 6 GB/s transfer rate of the SSD. So if I connect the new SSD on SATA port 2 or 3, leaving the old HD on port 1, I could lose part of the SSD speed. Some of you can confirm that issue and/or give any advice about my upgrading? Any comment would be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance, Fabio

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

November 10th, 2015 12:00

You can install the SSD to Port 1 and transfer the HDD to port 2, just use the boot menu to tell the computer what drive to boot from.  When you are in Windows, then use the clone software to duplicate the HDD to the SDD and then reboot to the SDD.  If you are using SATA 2 or less for an SDD there really isn't a point in getting the SDD so you want it on the fastest port.  

Alternatly you can install the SSD onto port 2, clone the HDD to the SDD, then swap the ports. 

4 Posts

November 10th, 2015 12:00

Many thanks BEAMERMT79, Fabio

No Events found!