Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

June 15th, 2012 07:00

XPS 8500 w7 backup to WD mypassport usb3 fails

I have a XPS 8500 and I connected a western digital my passport external HD to the USb 3 port on the back. I started the windows 7 backup and it started running ok. When the backup was 57% complete and the (windows) backup started creating the system image backup, the backup was aborted (failure). I got the following error message: The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002).  I retried a couple of times and it failed again with the same error message.

Now  I moved "my passport" to the USB 2 port on top of the computer and the backup was completed succesfully. Could it be a problem with the USB3.0 port that is causing the failure? How should I proceed with this issue? Thanks for any suggestions!

13 Posts

June 15th, 2012 08:00

You are not the only one having problems with USB 3.0 on the XPS 8500. I have a feeling the new onboard implementation of USB 3.0 with Ivy Bridge architecture is not quite worked out. I guess we are the beta testers.

I had started a thread on this forum dealing with the USB problems of XPS 8500 that you may want to join in. It is at:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19449779.aspx

I returned my system and am receiving a new one of the same configuration today. I will check out if this one has the same problems I saw before and will post to this thread. This problem is real and needs to be fixed.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 15th, 2012 12:00

Error code 0x8100002F and or error code 0x80070002

when you back up files in Windows 7

This issue occurs if the following conditions are true:

• The computer has an NVIDIA USB Enhanced Host Controller Interface (EHCI) chipset.
  • The computer has at least 4 GB of RAM.
  • You try to copy data from the computer to an external USB storage device.

For information about how to resolve this issue, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

976972  You encounter problems when you move data over USB from a Windows 7 computer that has an NVIDIA USB EHCI chipset and at least 4GB of RAM

27 Posts

June 15th, 2012 15:00

I have a XPS 8500 with 16 GB RAM but the graphic card is an AMD Radeon 7800. The files in MS recomendations were related to NVIDIA cards. I tried to download the MS Files and the feed back was that the files did not apply to my computer. I think that there is a problem with the USB 3.0 ports(the same error code could be related to USB interruptions.....). The WD passport has an USB 3 (+2) interface. When I connect the WD Passport to an USB 2 port, it is imediatly recognized and it works correctly. However, I get a message (from WD passport) that I can get a better performance if I connect to an USB 3.0 port. If I connect WD passport to an USB 3.0 port (front or back), it is never recognized as an USB 3 and sometimes it is not recognized at all (not even as USB 2). In some cases, I have to restart the computer with the WD passport connected (USB) in order to the external WD passport to be found and it will be detected as USB 2 connection.  That is, I am getting an erratic behaviour in the USB 3 ports.

1.3K Posts

June 15th, 2012 17:00

AndreSmo,

The update SpeedStep is refering is for your USB 3.0 chipset.

NVIDIA USB Enhanced Host Controller Interface (EHCI) chipset, not a Nvidia Video card.

I would try the "Update" at the link he gave you.

13 Posts

June 15th, 2012 19:00

Before updating drivers, it should first be determined which ones are present. Go to the Device Manager and check the drivers of the Enhanced Host Controller. On these new XPS 8500's they should be Intel drivers. That's what I have on mine.

27 Posts

June 15th, 2012 23:00

My XPS 8500 has also Intel drivers for the USB enhanced....controller.

25 Posts

August 19th, 2012 19:00

Andre Smo,

Try using a USB 3.0 external hub with its own power supply. That was the only workaround I found to solve this problem.

When connecting the WD My Passport 1TB directly on the USB 3.0 PC port (Intel Extensible host controller) it fails every time when I try to create a system image with Windoes 7.

If I connect through a USB 3.0 hub, it works every time. I believe they a have a problem problem on the USB 3.0 ports.

WD tech support never came back with a solution.

25 Posts

August 20th, 2012 09:00

Andre Smo,

Sorry for the typo, I meant power problem on usb 3.0 ports.

No Events found!