Desktops General - Read Only

Last reply by 09-07-2015 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

XPS 8700 Weird Noise

I have been noticing a weird noise with my new XPS 8700. It's hard to explain what it sounds like so I made a short recording of the noise. You can listen to it here http://picosong.com/YQgV/ and it happens at the 2 second mark in the audio recording.

Sometimes the noise happens every 15-30 seconds and other times it won't happen for another 3-5 minutes.

Here are the specs for the computer if that helps.

Dell XPS 8700, Intel Core i7-4770 3.4ghz,  Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Sandisk Extreme II 240gb SSD for OS and programs, 1TB HDD, 24gb ram (8gb from Dell and 16gb from Crucial)

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Replies (16)
3 Zinc

That would be the sound of the hard drive parking its heads. If you have a Seagate drive that is what it is for sure, Seagate is notorious for having drives that dock their heads loudly. My Seagate Momentus 7200.4 in my XPS L502X made that noise all the time.

-Brandon

Forum Member Since 2010
I, like others, am a forum member and not an employee of Dell

2 Jasper
2 Jasper

Well, I replaced the case fan with a ARCTIC F9 TC - 92 mm Standard Low Noise Temperature Controlled Case Fan.  The RPM is 50% less than the Sunon that was put in there, but.

The humming continues.

The Noise must be coming from either PSU or CPU fan/vibration.  Has anyone replaced the psu and had a noise reduction?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Dell changed my hard drive and solved the problem Seagate ST2000DM001-1ER164.   1.8 TB

2 Jasper
2 Jasper

what drive did they change it from?

Mine is a ST1000DM003-1ER162

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

ST2000DM001-1ER164

2 Jasper
2 Jasper

So they changed the same hard drive for the same exact model?  Were you hearing humming noise or clicking noises?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Sorry guys, I didn't realize that when you click "solved my problem" that should really be available only to the person who started the thread.  I believe my knock-knock (always a double) is the Seagate also, as it coincides with the hard drive activity light.  It will blink active, then go off, and when it does a quick flash after a second or two, the twin knocks sound at the same time.  No wonder I never bought a Seagate, always WD Black - wonder why Dell buys Seagate? Mine's under warranty with less than 10 hours on it, plus it has the Costco concierge, so I'll be calling today to start a case.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor