Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

D

October 17th, 2015 10:00

XPS 8700 and Fallout 4.

Hey guys,

I really want to get Fallout 4 on the PC, but I think my PC might not be powerful enough. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll need a new graphics card, but it's all so confusing.

I'm really, REALLY bad with computers like, I don't have the first clue at all. All of these graphics cards names, stats and configs are really, really mind boggling and like Chinese to me.

I used the System Requirements Lab thing to check my eligibility to play Fallout 4 and for the 'minimum requirements', the Graphics Card failed. For the 'recommended requirements', both the graphics card and processor failed

I used that GD Hardware scanner thing and it says I have this:

Core I7-4770 4-Core 3.4Ghz processor,
GeForce GT 635 (OEM) graphics card,
8144MB RAM.

However, according to my records, I have the Turbo Boost thing and my processor is listed on my invoice as '4th Gen Intel Core i7-4770 processor (8M Cache, up to 3.9 GHz)'. The 'recommended' for Fallout 4 is 3.6Ghz. So if mine is 3.4Ghz but can go up to 3.9, it would manage the 3.6Ghz for Fallout 4 right?! The System Requirements Lab tester doesn't register the Turbo Boost from 3.4-3.9Ghz. I don't know how TB even works of if it would make me eligible for the recommended specs.

The graphics card confused me a great deal. Looking at the NVidia website, it says the card is a 2048mb one, so 2gb. But when I did the System Requirements Lab thing, it says my graphics card is 1gb, not 2gb, and my invoice confirms it is. However, the NVidia website confused me and said 2048mb.

I understand enough to know my graphics card won't be ok for Fallout 4. So my question is, which graphics card should I get? I've heard random things about only specific graphics cards working with my motherboard, and needing a specific wattage power supply for a better graphics card. I have no idea how to find this information out, or to see which cards are compatible with my machine.

I'd like to upgrade my card to something that will play top games like Fallout 4, and last me at least 12 months. My budget is up to £300 but I might be convinced to go higher.

I seriously don't have a clue. I look at all of the numbers and stats and it's just so confusing. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you and be gentle! I'm not trolling I genuinely am a caveman with PCs.

PS: I'm in the UK, when I go to the forums from the Dell UK site, it sends me here, so I hope this isn't just .com USA Dell :).

1.2K Posts

October 17th, 2015 11:00

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/fallout-4-system-requirements-revealed

Bethesda's Minimum System Specifications

Bethesda's Recommended System Specifications

Processor: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz/AMD FX-9590 4.7 GHz or equivalent

-

CPU is fine. i7 4770 and i7 4790 are closely matched.
Memory is fine, you have 8GB.

GT 635 needs to be upgraded. in the US, they can be sold for about $30 $40 US so you can add that to your budget.

I don't know price and availability in UK but a GTX 970 is close to a GTX 780. Ahead in some ways, slighty behind in others but roughly equal. You should upgrade the Power supply. In the US this can be done for around $400-$420 USD so if prices align and with the conversion rate your £300 should cover this upgrade, and add another £20 from the sale of your GT 635.

You will need to update your BIOS to A10 or higher.

see this thread for alot more info. Read all the way through to see issues some have had trying to use the stock PSU with the GTX 970.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19611037

October 18th, 2015 06:00

Thank you for your reply. Oh wow, upgrading the power supply alone will cost 50% of what I paid for the machine...jeez. I'll call Dell on Monday and ask them what power supply I need and get some quotes, then try and find somewhere cheaper!

1.2K Posts

October 18th, 2015 10:00

Dell is unlikely to be of any help answering questions about a power supply upgrade beyond what they have tested. In fairness, they can't be expected to know, but this is where the forum will help. The thread I linked to above has several (including me) that have upgraded to 650W, 750W, 850W PSUs. It is worthwhile reading to see what others have had success with.

You need at least 550W. I would go with a 650W because it adds more headroom and PSUs are more efficient around 50% load and if you decide in the future you want to upgrade to a GTX 980 or 980ti you'll have the PSU to support it. The 4770 CPU is a solid processor for gaming and most games don't push the CPU nearly has hard as the graphics card so you can get alot of mileage out of your current system by upgrading the graphics card.

I am a fan of Seasonic built power supplies, and also have heard great things about PSUs built by Superflower. These come under several different brands including some of the EVGA, XFX, and of course Seasonic and Superflower sell under their own brand name. I highly suggest reading the tech reviews for the exact PSU before buying as there is alot of junk available.

I'm in the US and I don't know what shopping choices there are in the UK. I looked at amazon.uk and the prices are high in comparison to the US, so maybe it is VAT being added.

If I had to buy one in the next 10 minutes in the UK on amazon, I think I'd buy this one: I won't post a link but search for this.

EVGA 650 W G2 GOLD 80+ Modular PC Power Supply Unit

This unit is manufactured by Superflower and has excellent reviews.

EVGA also sells another version with "GS" in the part name instead of G2.  also excellent, built by seasonic, but on amazon is more money. I would avoid EVGAs with "G1" or "B1" in the part name. G1/B1 EVGA units are manufactured by FSP and are not in the same league as the GS (seasonic) or G2 (SuperFlower) units.

That unit is 75.36.

If that is too much, the lower-price option I would consider is the Seasonic S12-II 620W 80+ Bronze for 59.99. however the EVGA unit is much higher quality, and will likely outlast your computer. 

If there are Local UK forums, ask around where the best place to buy is. I only looked at amazon as an example.

good luck

1.2K Posts

October 18th, 2015 10:00

Another option if this is getting too expensive is to read up on how the GTX 960 is performing for that game. It is a step down from the 970 but still a solid graphics card for gaming,  roughly equal to the GTX 770. It won't run all games at 1080p with full eye-candy enabled but it will run most games very well.

Most GTX 960s can use the OEM 460W Dell power supply.

I would look at the MSI GTX 960 or EVGA GTX 960. 

I have GTX 760 in one of our 8700s, a GTX 770 in another and a third (non dell) system with a GTX 970.

At 1080p resolution, the GTX 760 is good, the 770 is great and the 970 is superb.

If the 960 was available two years ago, I would have bought it and not upgraded PSUs.

October 19th, 2015 09:00

Hello,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I ticked the 'email me replies to this post' thing for replies and never got any e-mails so I didn't know there were replies.

Before checking here I called Dell and the news isn't great. They confirm my Power Supply Unit is 460W and that if I change to any other, it will void my warranty, which lasts until March 2018. They said other than the one I have, no others have been tested with the system and my warranty will be nullified if I change it.

They told me they have a 2GB card, the NVidia Quadro (NVS 510), which will work with my current system, or a slightly outdated but more powerful sounding NVidia GeForce GTX 745 4GB card.

It looks like I'll have to use Dell, I daren't lose the warranty cover. Would either of those work, or not? I'll have a look over the posts and links now, thank you for those! It looks like my options will be severely limited though.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 19th, 2015 10:00

A specifc GTX960 works just fine with the stock Power supply.  Changing power supply does not void warranty.  It is not covered by your warranty but the rest of the unit still is.

However I would only recommend a good EPS12v supply like corsair CS750M.

I've used an EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ 2GB GDDR5 128bit,  02G-P4-2966-KR

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-2966-KR

This card does not require a new power supply.

EPS 12v 2.92 certfied supply is required. The dimensions of the 750M are also a factor.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/425477/CS_Series_CS750M_750_Watt_ATX_Modular_Power_Supply

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Series-Modular-Efficient-CS750M/dp/B00GH9NA0A

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cs-series-modular-cs750m-750-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-psu

No Events found!