Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

December 28th, 2013 10:00

XPS 8700 multi-boot issue

Just got a new xps 8700. I'm less than impressed with the new BIOS. Apparently it's due to Microsoft enforcing this approach with all Win8 PCs? Well, I also do not find Win8 to be user friendly either. I'd rather have Win7.

Anyway, I purchased this system to use it for ALSO booting LINUX (CentOS) from an external USB drive. No go after the install. I think it may have something to do with the msata add on (another piece of less than useful hardware). Anyone run into any similar issues?

Also, is there any way to delete the msata hadware without having to reinstall Win8? I'd really just like a bare bones Win8 (or Win something-other-than-8) that can also boot Linux from an external drive.

Anyone?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 28th, 2013 14:00

Hi Backthatthingupyoyoyo,

The "new BIOS" is UEFI. If you want to boot a non-Windows OS that does not support UEFI, you need to set the BIOS to legacy. Of course, this will require reinstalling Windows 8.

December 29th, 2013 08:00

I've already set the BIOS to Legacy. I'd actually done that before I attempted to install the Linux distro.

So, when it wouldn't boot as previously described, I "REMOVED" the Win8 disk from the machine entirely and reinstalled Linux on the external USB2 drive. NO GO. Still would not boot. Same issue as before. So is this a case where I have to also "hunt down and remove" the 32GB SSD that's used to provide the so-called fastboot? BTW, where is this card?

Never had so much trouble with a DELL Box. Don't think I'll ever buy again (I've exclusively purchased DELL machines for the passed 10-12 years). I may have to rethink my next purchase and maybe go with HP?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 29th, 2013 10:00

Here are the manuals for information on removing the mSATA card.

As to why your version of Centos cannot boot that system, I'll defer to Linux experts.

4 Posts

January 13th, 2014 14:00

Hello,

I just successfully configured a dual-boot (WIndows 8.1 & Ubuntu 13.10) XPS8700 Special Edition with a 32GB SSD. The details of the process are available in the following article:  http://ubuntuone.com/2MQe9Wi5POr46RIqVVdZVm

I hope you find it useful.

Regards

Dzrtman

3 Posts

October 12th, 2014 04:00

Hi Dzrtman

Since your last post Ubuntuone service has been terminated.

Would it be possible to make the article available somewhere else? I'm looking to have a dual boot system with windows 8.1 and ubuntu 14.04.

Thanks in advance

cordeu

4 Posts

October 12th, 2014 06:00

Hello Cordue,

The document is a 21.7mb pdf, which I believe is too large to load to the Dell forum site. I don't subscribe to any drop-box like services, so now Ubuntuone has been terminated, how would you like to receive this document?

Dzrtman

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 12th, 2014 08:00

Side by side Dual Boot has been a feature of UBUNTU since 12.04.2

As long as you are not using Secure boot Its not an issue to install Ubuntu onto an NTFS partition with

XP/VISTA/7/8/10 windows.

I do not recommend getting a malware infected PDF file or ZIP file or link to find out how to do something that is natively supported by UBUNTU.WUBI is an Ubuntu installer which allows to "install and uninstall Ubuntu in the same way as any other Windows application.

CSM Legacy UEFI Boot requires a reinstall of windows from scratch.

So you install windows first.

Then you install UBUNTU Side By Side with windows and PICK which OS boots once you restart.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wubi_%28software%29

ubuntu-12.04.5-dvd-i386.iso

ubuntu-12.04.5-dvd-amd64.iso

3 Posts

October 12th, 2014 12:00

Hi Dzrtman

Services like speedyshare.com allow uploading the file without registering. Just share the link when you finish.

I've been using dual boot Windows-Ubuntu for few years but is slightly different with Windows 8 and I would appreciate the guide.

Regards

cordeu

2 Posts

October 23rd, 2014 02:00

Hi Cordeu,

i was wondering if you got ubuntu running on your dell? I have the same problem and I am searching the web for a solution. I would very much appreciate if you could share your experiences.

Regards,

Borris

October 23rd, 2014 06:00

I pulled the add-on card, ditched the Win8 ***-OS, got my hands on a Win7-Pro license and haven't looked back.

From what I've seen in mainstream blogs, "MicroSloth" appears to have gotten the message as to how "great" Win8 is NOT.

As to future PCs, not one more will be a Dell.

4 Posts

October 24th, 2014 11:00

Hi Borris,

I gave a copy of my guide to Cordue. The guide will be available at the following location for 30 days: 

Download at SpeedyShare

Good luck :emotion-1:

Dzrtman

3 Posts

October 24th, 2014 12:00

Hi Borris

I used the above guide and got dual-boot working in no time. Dzrtman really did a great job compiling all the info, there are even screenshoots for everything!!

With that said, I'm not impressed with 8.1 and will stick with Ubuntu. Anyway, It's handy to have windows working since we've already paid for the licence.

Dzrtman, thanks again for the guide.

Cordeu

2 Posts

October 27th, 2014 03:00

Thank you very much for the guide!! Worked like a charm. I finally managed to install kubuntu and even got the nvidia card running.

The installation in my case was even a bit easier (when you know what to do). On my machine there is an Intel rapid storage program already installed from where you can turn off the IRST acceleration. So for others, in total here is what I did to install Linux:

(1. Make some space available on your hard disk (e.g. in Windows / or later with gparted))

2. Enter EFI (new BIOS)

3. Turn secure boot off (still in EFI mode, not legacy)

4. Change boot priority (to USB first if you want to boot from USB)

5. in Windows search for the intel rapid storage app/program, open it and turn off the SSD acceleration. You can even release the SSD and make it available again for other purposes (although I didn't try this)

6. Boot with a live USB or CD and install what ever Linux you want

7. On your own risk(!!!) you might even turn SSD acceleration on again after the installation

8. Enjoy!

Thanks again to Dzrtman and cordeu!

January 5th, 2017 14:00

I don't know if this can help anyone. Anyway after a day or two trying to figure out how to solve this I managed to install ubuntu thanks to wubiefi without much effort.

No Events found!