Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

January 28th, 2016 10:00

XPS 8900 Windows Server 2012 R2 network (all) drivers...

I am trying to install Windows Server 2012 R2 on my XPS 8900.  I have the following "unknown" devices that need drivers:

Bluetooth Radio

Network Adapter

Ethernet Adapter

PCI Simple Communications Controller

Dell's Windows 8.1 x64 drivers will not install.  Anybody know what the integrated (Ethernet) network controller is? Intel? What model? I may have to manually select the driver from the PROSet package.  How about driver candidates for the Bluetooth and PCI SCC?

Any other help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

36 Posts

January 28th, 2016 11:00

Update:

I was able to manually install the Ethernet Adapter from the Dell driver download package.  Still needing:

Bluetooth Radio

Network Adapter (wireless adapter?)

PCI Simple Communications Controller

for Windows Server 2012 R2.

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 28th, 2016 11:00

Which OS did Dell install at the factory?

Did you install the Intel Chipset drivers as the first drivers installed after loading Server 2012?  Without the chipset drivers, other drivers may not install...

Looks like the onboard Ethernet is an Intel I2xx/825xx Gigabit Ethernet Network Controller.

Dell installs several different WiFi+BT cards in the XPS 8900, so you have to look at your specs sheet (or use your Service Tag on Dell's support site) to see exactly which one you have.

36 Posts

January 28th, 2016 12:00

So I have to apologize!

When I reloaded the Dell driver download page for the XPS 8900 and Windows 8.1 x64, additional drivers showed up under a few of the categories.  I dunno why.  I was sure I had picked Windows 8.1 x64 last time.  :/

Anyway, I *was* able to install the wired (Ethernet), wireless and the PCI SCC drivers.  The only thing I cannot install for Windows 2012 R2 is the Bluetooth Radio driver.  I can go on without this, but would like to solve the issue. Ideas?

Yes, the first thing I always do when setting up a new machine is check (and update) the BIOS and then I install the chipset drivers - all packages under that category.  Then I go on down the line.

Thanks for indulging me.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 28th, 2016 13:00

If you Google around, it appears Windows Server 2008 and 2012 don't natively support BT.

Some users tinker with files from Microsoft Bluetooth Stack for Windows and install them. Others just opt for a USB>BT dongle.

So if you don't really need BT, you're done...

2 Posts

April 16th, 2016 10:00

How did you install the Ethernet driver manually? I ran the exe package and at the end it failed to install the drivers. Did you had to extract the drivers and install via inf file? Any help in pointing me the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

2 Posts

April 16th, 2016 10:00

Ah. Never mind. I was able to install it manually as well. I had to choose the Extract option. Then I saw that there was a win2012-r2 subfolder. So I went into Device Manager and right mouse click on Ethernet Adapter and select Update Driver, and then select the options to point to the win2012-r2 subfolder and it was installed and now works. I think the setup.exe install option incorrectly detects the OS as Windows 8.1 and thus was not able to install the drivers properly.

May 6th, 2016 00:00

Hi,

Were you able to connect to WIFI after installing windows server 2012 R2? If yes, how? Could you please guide me. I did a bare metal installation of Windows server 2012 R2 on my new XPS 8900 workstation but struggling with the drivers and connecting Wifi. :(

No Events found!