Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 30th, 2016 18:00

XPS 8910 BIOS Problem

I just took delivery on an XPS 8910 desktop, i7, 16GB, 750Ti, 2T disk.  Beautiful machine except for a BIOS bug that caused me to reinstalled Windows 10 Pro twice.  I'm using Windows version 10.0.14393 and BIOS version 1.0.9/9/1/2016. 

By default, the machine will not wake up from sleep on mouse or keyboard input.  I went into the BIOS Advanced section and enabled the "USB wake up S3" option.  BOOM.  Saving the BIOS caused the machine to fail on every reboot attempt with the BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO error.  I tried many recovery strategies, including messing around with bcdedit, but reinstalling the OS turned out to be the path of least resistance for me.

The first time I reinstalled Windows with the BIOS factory settings.  Everything worked as it did originally; a second attempt to change the BIOS setting caused the same problem.  I reinstalled Windows again, this time with the "USB wake up S3" option enabled before reinstalling.  Now everything works and I can even wake up the sleeping machine with mouse or keyboard input.

I would formally report this bug to Dell, but the support page process was too rigid and time consuming.  Hey Dell, how about a simple "express" form that allows one to submit their Service Tag and a problem description after logging in on their Dell account?

Until that happens, I hope my experience helps others avoid a long, treacherous evening. 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 1st, 2017 15:00

I asked my Dell tech contacts to review this thread...

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

January 6th, 2017 04:00

Hi richcar,

Thanks for taking the time to post about this issue.  If this situation has been encountered by other customers, I'm sure our engineers have been notified.  However, since you have brought this to our attention, I'll forward your post on to the team that handles the Support web page.  If I get any definite information that I can post publicly, I'll respond here.  Thanks.

Regards,
Robert

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

January 11th, 2017 07:00

As of present, the engineers have been unable to duplicate your issue.  I've provided them with your Service Tag and they will continue testing using a system with the same configuration you have.  Thanks for your patience.

No Events found!