Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 9th, 2017 20:00

XPS 8910 & Windows 10

I thought I upgraded from a 7 year old Gateway with Intel I5, 8G RAM and 1G HDD. running Windows 7 Home Premium.  It was getting slower and "jittery" when working with graphics programs. (I work with a lot of 3D engineering files).

"New" system is XPS 8910 1.0.10  3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-6700,  256 kilobyte primary memory cache,  1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache 8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache  64-bit ready  Multi-core (4 total) Hyper-threaded (8 total), with Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1703 (build 15063.483), and NVIDIA GeForce GT 730

"10" is a pig, spyware, and effectively eliminates the possibility of using my Epson color inkjtet printer,er, most Adobe programs (unless I "subscribe" at great cost to Adobe's "cloud" bull squeeze)  and takes a LONG time to start basic programs.  Even OpenOffice Writer takes 30-40 seconds to launch.  It seems that fatware is slowing the graphics so I have no advantage over the older system either.

I have little if any benefit from the new system, and I SUSPECT Windows 10 is the problem.

Has anyone installed Windows 7 on a preinstalled Windows 10 machine like this one, and if so, do you have any tips?  I'm getting close to putting this nightmare on eBay, or switching it to Linux.

Recommendations?

August 25th, 2017 00:00

AyeAye, if you want to install Windows 7 on your XPS 8910 (skylake) desktop, follow these directions and download the special Dell Skylake Win 7 .iso from the link also.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 10th, 2017 04:00

Windows 7 will work with the Skylake CPU (it's the last platform where it will - the Kaby Lake systems require 10).  However, unless you purchased the system with 10 Pro (which has downgrade rights), you'll need to purchase a license for 7 -- the standard W 10 has no downgrade rights).

Also --  before you undertake installing 7 on the system, be sure you know what you're in for -- you'll need to build a custom installer because the Skylake platform doesn't have W7 support for basic install media.

Some help here:

www.sevenforums.com/.../401723-how-install-windows-7-skylake-dell-xps-8910-a.html

307 Posts

August 10th, 2017 05:00

I think you need to look at Task Manager and see what processes are running, the amount of memory being used, and what processes are consuming the most CPU time. Most benchmarks show Windows 10 outperforms Windows 7. If you think spyware is the problem it is not coming from Windows 10. Windows 10 does not cause a program like OpenOffice to launch so slowly if you have sufficient memory.

You didn't mention how much system memory you have, but I think you would benefit with more than 8 GB if you are working with a lot of 3D engineering files and graphics programs.  

August 10th, 2017 12:00

Thanks both for your advice.  I'm not familiar with recent processor code names so I can't respond to that.

Memory is 8Gb, I've used Task Manager for decades, check it often, all I ever see that is outrageous memory usage is Firefox, sometimes in excess of 2 G. That's a garbage browser. I don't know of any acceptable browsers.

In many forums I understand the W 10 IS constantly talking to Redmond and reporting, which makes 10 spyware by itself.

I use BleachBit and CCleaner several times a day because I use a lot of e-mail and get 150+ trash lins a day. I click on NUTHIN.  I also use Malwarebytes daily so I doin't expect any infestations. I've used ComboFix several times in the past on 2 previous computers when something tells me the system has the heebie jeebies, haven't resorted to that yet.

I think I might upgrade the GeForce GT 730 before I delegate this to a bad deal when purchased.

307 Posts

August 10th, 2017 16:00

Your CPU, i7-6700, is a Skylake processor.

So what is Task Manager reporting In the Performance tab for Memory in use? My system, Windows 10 Pro,  is running 3.2 GB in use with no other apps loaded after booting up. In use memory goes up to 3.7 GB with Firefox and one website nowhere near 2 GB extra. And how is Disk usage? Is the disk always active or mostly idle?

You know you can change the settings to minimize what is reported back to Microsoft. Go to Setting/Privacy/Feedback & diagnostics.

Upgrading your graphics card is not going to solve the problem with slow launch of OpenOffice or any of the other problems you have described..

Also there is no Windows 10 spyware that eliminates the possibility of using your Epson printer or Adobe programs. Beside what is said in forums about Windows 10 spyware what proof do you have that this is the problem on your system? Is it CPU usage, memory usage, disk usage, or network usage?

The long time it takes to start a basic program usually indicates low memory or slow HDD. Since the XPS 8910 does not come with a slow HDD, I would focus on memory usage and what programs are running on startup or being loaded into memory.The OS is going to take about 3 GB.

August 21st, 2017 19:00

Thanks all, his will be my end of this thread. With tips here I disabled many of the bogus window scams so they are now inoperable.  The slowness still appears to be memory related. The disk usage is fine (meaning not high) and memory isn't hogged up unless running Firefox. No, I use no addons or "themes" whatsoever.  Firefox has become a pig. A couple hours on (I use it to filter out malicious e-mails, now at 200 a day) and I'm over 2 gig. WITHOUT Firefox running, all becomes slow.  I will add (quadruple) memory from 8 to 64 Gb. Funny, I remember years ago ('93, '94?)  when I increased a desktop from 2 Mb to 4 and people were amazed. Now, with only slightly more functionality, 8,000 Mb isn't enough.  Thanks all for your suggestions and guidance.

No Events found!