Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 6th, 2016 18:00

XPS 8910 added second SATA HD now optical drive no visible

Based on my reading the XPS 8910 manual the SATA ports are as follows:

4 - optical drive, 5 - hard drive, 6 - drive connector, 7 - drive connector

When I first open the machine the optical drive SATA cable was connected to 5 and the hard drive connected to 4. I assumed they knew what they were doing more than I.  I added a second SATA HD using SATA connector 6.  The second drive came up as drive F: and worked fine (first HD is C: and the memory card reader is D:

However, the optical drive (E:) was no longer visible.  When I look at the BIO is seems to recognize both HDs and the optical drive. 

Any help appreciated.

2 Posts

December 7th, 2016 07:00

Saltgrass and Jesse L

Thanks for the quick response. As for the links discussing how to add a second drive, installing and accessing the second drive was not the problem  The second drive worked fine.  As I mentioned it was visible and viable in both bios and the OS disk management.  The problem was the DVD was no longer visible even when I inserted a valid DVD.

Using Windows 10 pro with all latest updates.  So....I ran one of the Windows fix-it/trouble shooting tools and MAGICALLY, best I can tell, the DVD now recognizes and reads DVD.

I still believe Dell's documentation for the XPS 8910 special edition is either wrong or confusing (or both) concerning the functionality and thus the proper use of SATA ports 4 and above.

Thanks again for the help?

jtorri

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 7th, 2016 04:00

I agree with your reading of the manual.  The blue connector (4-Sata 1) shows for the Optical drive.

Most systems I have seen use the lower SATA ports for the drives and put the Optical on the higher port numbers.  I would put them back where they should be according to the manual.  It may have just been a mistake was made during assembly.

You could also verify you did not dislodge a connector when you added the second drive.

Just for kicks, if you open Disk Management, what drive numbers do the devices show?

• 

17K Posts

December 7th, 2016 06:00

jtorri,

Click the links below for adding a second ssd hd in the computer.

http://dell.to/2h6d6MB

YouTube Video

http://dell.to/2h6eAGR

• 

17K Posts

December 7th, 2016 08:00

jtorri,

Thanks for letting me know. 

No Events found!