Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2009 13:00

XPS 9000 and XPS 8000 delivery delay issues

The previous thread that mentioned issues of the Studio XPS 9000 and XPS 8000 being delayed or having extensive build times was locked. After a months time I had ordered mine (9/26) and it was supposed to ship on (10/22), after two delays it finally shipped out and will be received today (10/28). If you have any issues or have found any solutions to help get your systems sooner please help others that have also been in this predicament. It would seem the main issue is due to the high demand of I5 and I7 processors and parts being backordered. If you call customer service after a delay often times they will upgrade you to one day shipping, even though it took them three days to actually get it out.

108 Posts

February 12th, 2010 09:00

I've decided to join this forum, after reading some of the horror stories over the past few months. I'm a Canadian customer, ordered a very simple xps9000 on January 28, with an original EDD of Feb 17. My status is still "in Production", but I don't see the edd happening, as it's now Friday, and unless it ships today, that leaves only 2 days. I was hoping to be one of the (few) lucky ones who has no issues...

Anyone want to make any predictions?

There are 3 places to check status online.  The most accurate is to go to "My account", click on the order number and a pop-up window will show the latest staus.  However, expect some real delays in shipping.  The problem you have is that the computer is being built in Mexico and the monitor in China.  Due to customs restrictions in Canada, it can't ship directly from Mexico. So, it has to get across the border to The U.S., get matched up with the monitor, then shipped to the Canadian border by FedEx and clear Canadian customs. then, due to Dell's contract it has to be shipped to its final destination by Purolator. 

The other thing that might cause a delay is the monitor you ordered. dell has had a real problem getting monitors over 21.5".  I had my order delayed until i got a U.S. customer service rep who told me the monitor was my problem. I cancelled the monitor, ordered a 21.5 " one and the computer shipped the next day.  the entire time, my status showed "in production", when the computer was actually ready for shipping.

14 Posts

February 12th, 2010 11:00

The best part of Dell is no one in any dept can tell you the progress of your build.  What a joke, no quality control, already have informed all my clients and my fathers business will never order from Dell again.  This is my last time with dell.  How can a company not be able to tell you the build status.  How many of you have heard Im sorry more then 10 times?  How many have heard someone will  get back to you only never to contact you, and how many of you like me had their order canceled without telling you and re put in again 3 days later.  Dell is the absolute worst company I have ever dealt with and I am an accountant.  Way to go Dell your company is a joke.

Received my first delay message today.  Ordered XPS 9000 1/28, original EDD (with 3-5 day shipping) was 2/16, today pushed by form email to 2/23.  I'm not optimistic it will arrive by then, based on this forum, despite Dell's claim that they are "confident" it will be delivered on or before the new date.  Of course, that claim comes from a generic email.

Configuring the same system today gives a four week lead time (with an extra week due to ATI 5770), so I suspected my two week lead was overly optimistic.  Needless to say, delaying most of your orders and having tons of unhappy customers cancel and tell all their friends is no way to run a business.  It's hard to figure out what's going on in there.  I will keep the forum posted on when (and if) I receive the system.

13 Posts

Received my 8100 yesterday 8/11. Booted up and everything looks good.  All of my RAM is registered and I think I have the newest BIOS (i think it said version 3 or something).

Ordered: 1/8

Original EDD 2/3

Delayed 1 EDD 2/10

Received 2/11 (due to FedEx closing 2/10)

Good luck to all of you who are still waiting.

32 Posts

February 12th, 2010 12:00

I've decided to join this forum, after reading some of the horror stories over the past few months. I'm a Canadian customer, ordered a very simple xps9000 on January 28, with an original EDD of Feb 17. My status is still "in Production", but I don't see the edd happening, as it's now Friday, and unless it ships today, that leaves only 2 days. I was hoping to be one of the (few) lucky ones who has no issues...

Anyone want to make any predictions?

Studio XPS 9000 Studio XPS 9000
[224-4407]
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-920 processor(8MB L3 Cache, 2.66GHz)
[317-0067]
Memory 6GB Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 6 DIMMs
[317-0076]
Keyboard Dell USB Keyboard
[330-3666]
Monitor 24” Dell U2410 UltraSharp™ Full HD Monitor
[320-8263]
Video Card nVidia® GeForce® 310 512M GDDR3
[320-1342]
Hard Drive 500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
[341-8516]
Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
[330-6097]
[420-6436]
[420-6576]
[420-7938]
[420-8873]
[420-9691]
[421-0323]
[421-0530]
[421-1183]
[421-1603]
Mouse Dell Optical USB Mouse
[310-9573]
Modem No Modem Option
[313-3607]
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0 Multi-Language
[410-1867]
Optical Drive 16X DVD+/-RW Drive
[313-8757]
[313-8916]
[421-1412]
Sound Card Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
[313-7186]
Speaker No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)
[313-4514]
Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) Microsoft Works 9.0, English
[420-8085]
Security Software No Security software pre-installed
[461-8389]
Hardware Support Services 1 Year Limited Hardware Warranty with In Home Service after Remote Diagnosis
[920-5050]
[988-7347]
[992-7420]
[993-6107]
Optional Support Services Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year
[988-0099]
[988-7707]
Installation No Installation
[900-9989

Hi, I'm a Canadian customer too, but I ordered an XPS 8000 instead of 9000.

My order date was Dec 26, and original EDD was Jan 22.

I was in a similar situation where my order was still in production, and seemed too late to ship as it just couldn't make the first EDD. Then I received an e-mail 5 days before Jan 22, saying it would be delayed. The e-mail asked  me to wait for 5 more business days to see if the order gets shipped, if not they would give me an "UPDATE" (which meant nothing, really).

I called and e-mailed, because I thought waiting for a system for nearly a month was more than enough, and I didn't want to end up like many people who replied to this thread. But Customer Care couldn't help me except asking me to order a different system or just wait.

Then I decided to wait for 5 more days, like the delay notification e-mail had asked, if my system didn't get shipped, then I would cancel the order.

Funny thing was, my system got shipped within the 5-day time frame, on the night of Jan 22, it was a Friday. I live in Richmond BC (close to Vancouver, if you don't know where that is), so it took another 4 working days to arrive at my doorstep, on Jan 28th.

The system I received is working so far so good, I have no complaints about it.

I'm not saying you should wait even longer, because I think one delay is already frustrating enough for us customers. If they gave you a secod delay, you should probably consider cancelling. I was only one of the lucky few who didn't wait too long.

If you happen to live in Lower Mainland in BC, Staples currently has an HP desktop (Pavilion Elite HPE-150f) on sale for $1079 (this is an in-store only price) :emotion-11:. You can go check it out~

The HP system features an i7-860 CPU

8GB RAM

1 TB SATA HD

Nvidia Geforce GT230 1.5 GB graphics card

Whatever decision you make, I wish you good luck!

4 Posts

February 12th, 2010 15:00

I ordered my XPS 9000 way before I came across this thread. However my system was delivered on 2/5 well ahead of EDD of 2/15. I didn't do much but call customer support and told them I want to cancel my order because customers are complaining about delays in shipping orders.

Anyway, you guys may want to flood this Facebook group http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dell-Consumer-Sales-Support/283679428064#!/pages/Dell-Consumer-Sales-Support/283679428064?v=wall

and get in touch with http://twitter.com/LisaG_atDell

XPS 9000 is a great system (expandable) although MB is kinda crippled. The box itself is kinda huge.

13 Posts

February 13th, 2010 14:00

Go figure!!!

I replied to their email giving permission to continue the build with an extended EDD of 2/23/10

Today I received an email notifying me it has been shipped with a EDD of 2/17/10 and with the FedEx tracking #

This is a XPS900 with 21.5 Multitouch Monitor

Windows 7 Ultimate...

Dual Drive BD read/DVD write

14 Posts

February 13th, 2010 14:00

120 days and still waiting for a working computer, keep it up dell you rule.

February 14th, 2010 07:00

Wow. Congrats then. I hope something similar happens with my order! 

My one other though was this; 

Dell sells computers, which have a ridiculously fast rate of de-value. The price I paid for my xps9000 was pretty good one month ago...but if it takes another month or two to actually receive it, then I'm actually getting ripped-off. By looking through some of these posts, it seems that I'm probably not the only one who feels this way. Does Dell do anything to compensate for this factor in any situation?

13 Posts

February 14th, 2010 08:00

Thanks for the Congrats.

My wife also thought I should look into some type of reimbursement for the wait, but you know we are so thrilled to finally get it, we overlook that.

Also, during the wait I have repriced different combinations of their XPS sales and the price has not come down at all. The prices seem different as they advertise different combinations of add-ons, but when I customise the XPS on sale to what I ordered, the prices seem to be holding.

Anyway I wish you luck with your order and delivery...

32 Posts

February 14th, 2010 10:00

Wow. Congrats then. I hope something similar happens with my order! 

My one other though was this; 

Dell sells computers, which have a ridiculously fast rate of de-value. The price I paid for my xps9000 was pretty good one month ago...but if it takes another month or two to actually receive it, then I'm actually getting ripped-off. By looking through some of these posts, it seems that I'm probably not the only one who feels this way. Does Dell do anything to compensate for this factor in any situation?

I think you can ask for it, but it's not easy. Some customers were promised compensations, but Dell reps simply denied it when these customers called back to confirm.

I've seen a few cases where it seemed easier for US customers to get compensations (eg. upgrading to overnight shipping, getting an extra DVD drive).

February 14th, 2010 13:00

Kind of makes me wonder--some have received their systems quickly, others wait for months.  I was told that "I got a great deal" but had to wait, and ended up canceling the order.  After all, in a month or two, a new and better system is available (if not from Dell, then HP or Gateway etc will have it).

If one component, say an i7-920 is in short supply, does Dell ship the most profitable systems first, or do they use a first-in first-out system based on order date?

108 Posts

February 14th, 2010 15:00

Kind of makes me wonder--some have received their systems quickly, others wait for months.  I was told that "I got a great deal" but had to wait, and ended up canceling the order.  After all, in a month or two, a new and better system is available (if not from Dell, then HP or Gateway etc will have it).

If one component, say an i7-920 is in short supply, does Dell ship the most profitable systems first, or do they use a first-in first-out system based on order date?

They obviously don't ship on a first-in, first-out system since people who ordered in Late December and Early January have received their systems and some people have been waiting since late November.  My guess, and it is only a guess, I don't have any more facts than anyone else, is that the problems have been associated with systems that come from different places.  My experience, for example, was a delay due to the inability to get the monitor I ordered (manufactured in China) matched up with my system (manufactured in Mexico).  When I was fortunate enough to get ahold of a U.S. based customer service rep who knew something after I got a delay notice, they told me I could cancel the monitor and order another model and it would all be shipped right away.  I did and received my system 3 days later. The monitor I received had "made in USA" on the box, the one I originally ordered is made in China.  Also, many people who have posted on this thread are in Canada and have had a hard time getting their systems.  The problems seem to be related to customs issues because of the fact that part of their system is coming from Mexico and part from China. I guess the restrictions from Canadian customs are different than those for U.S. customs.

The real frustration on everyone's part is that Dell won't tell us what is really happening, we have to guess based on what we can piece together.  If they would tell us the truth, we would be more content. But, when all we get is "in production" as a status and it doesn't change for weeks on end, we feel like nothing is happening. There is no reason, given current technology that they could not give us a step-by-step progress report on every system, I am guessing that information is available internally.

February 15th, 2010 07:00

Well...with two days to go, my EDD still says Feb 17, with a status of "in production". This is obviously not happening by Wednesday...so shouldn't I at least have an adjusted EDD by now?! I haven't heard anything from Dell as of yet, and am completely in the dark as to what's happening. 

I think the worst part is that I still cling to some strange, sick little hope that my system will be delivered soon, even though all logic would indicate that hell will freeze over first! 

February 15th, 2010 14:00

Okay... I've finally got some news...though not good news:(

"Dear Dell Customer,

We regret to inform you of a delay in your recent Dell order ########.

If your order has not shipped within 5 business days, we will provide you with an update. Otherwise, you will receive a notification when the order has shipped from our U.S. manufacturing facility.

No further action is required from you at this time. "

No Events found!