Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2008 07:00

XPS Dimension 5150C Question

My XPS Dimension 200/5150C DXC051 series; never had a problem with it until now. It's been an excellent machine.

It randomly goes into standby and can't be restarted without killing the power. I've applied all combinations of the power options, updated BIOS, and then restored the machine to the original factory settings.The problem continues and it's driving me crazy; I never know when it's going dead. It must be a hardware issue. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks in advance

Bob

3.4K Posts

November 16th, 2008 08:00

Hello,

Here is a Microsoft page dealing with your issue in Windows XP.

2 Posts

November 27th, 2008 19:00

I have the same XPS Dimension 200 unit/5150C DXC051. I am struggling with the same problem. It starts up and runs normally for 60-90 minutes, then powers down and shows a blinking yellow light. Pushing in the blinking yellow light for about 15 seconds turns power off completely so it can be restarted. After restart, all goes well for 30-45 minutes before it suddenly powers down displaying the blinking yellow light. The next restart runs well for about 10 minutes before shutting down. After that any restart without shutting down for a while is short lived.

I have checked connections to make sure connections were properly seated but continue to struggle with the same terrible, frustrating results.

I think the problem I am describibg is similar to Bob's. Can anyone suggest the likely culprit that is causing this?

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions you may have.

Mcginngh

3.4K Posts

November 27th, 2008 20:00

Hello,

Your problem sounds to be heat related.

I suggest that you unplug the system, use a can of computer grade compressed air and clean, clean, clean. Make double sure that all fans are clean and working, and that all air passages are free from obstructions.

I also suggest that in the future you start your own thread instead of piggy backing on another.

2 Posts

November 27th, 2008 20:00

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestions. 

I have tried the clean, clean, clean approach but will try again. I have also run Dell Diagnostics and believe that fans are working properly. Nevertheless, your suggestion merits a second effort. If at first you don't succeed......

I will also try to avoid piggy backing in future as soon as I can figure out how to start my own thread. As you can tell from that comment, I am new to the community.

Mcginngh

3.4K Posts

November 28th, 2008 06:00

I will also try to avoid piggy backing in future as soon as I can figure out how to start my own thread. As you can tell from that comment, I am new to the community.

Mcginngh

Hello,

This new forum is quite a mess isn't it?

On almost every page, look at the top left navigation pane. Click on "Forums" to get an expanded view of available topics. Click on a topic that fits your question, and then a subtopic if any. Once you get to an area that accepts posting, look top right next to the ghost people and see the text link, "Start a new thread". Click on it to ask a question. If you don't see the text link, you are not deep enough into the forum topic.

I hope you get your restarting problem fixed soon. But if you need to ask more questions, please include your system information and hardware list in the first post. Or, better yet, edit your forum profile and add a signature that lists your system information like mine or many others here.

Good luck

No Events found!