Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 10th, 2007 15:00

XPS Gen 2...Just had to post this!!

A while back I posted a couple problems I was having with my XPS Gen 2 Dell computer.  It was over heating after I removed the heat sink to re-apply the thermal paste.  I ordered a new heat sink which pretty much solved the heat problem but the fans were still really loud!  So, I decided to live with it cause no one really had a solution. 

Well, I would like you all to know that I ordered a new video card (had an ATI 9800 pro) and ordered a new ATI X1650 AGP card.  Well, after installation I noticed a surprising result!  My computer is now, for some reason, running much cooler...about 6 deg. F and the most remarkable thing is, the fans are much quieter!  Even playing some newer games, the computer is quieter than it was prior to the video card install.  I don't know if this is the solution for some of the older XPS machines but it sure seemed to work for me.  I might add that I didn't touch the processor or heat sink at all during the install.  Go figure!!

592 Posts

September 10th, 2007 20:00

This shows how much heat a video card can pump out.

New high end video cards with a dual PCI slot have a fan baffle that Exhausts the heat outside of the case right by the back of the case.

If yours isn't a dual slot, it may just be more efficient than the old card or blows the exhaust in a direction the 5 fans in the XPS Gen series can blow outside.

For my Gen 3 with a Nvidia 6800, I added a slot fan above the card to help exhaust the internal heat.

The XPS Gen series was not the best design for heat flow, it just kinda swirled the heat around and hoped it came out the top.
My Hard Drive ran at 60°C until I added an extra fan for that too.

Just a hot case, Now they have front to back airflow on the more recent XPSs to get the air IN and OUT.

Message Edited by korrson on 09-10-2007 04:45 PM

2.6K Posts

September 10th, 2007 20:00

I had a Gen 3 and then a 600.
The 3 fans would go up and down and up and down ...

It was ridiculous, later BIOS updates fixed it but before that I attached a 8cm fan to the inside part of the heat sink shroud to blow air through the fan and assist the rear fan.
Since it was inside the case it no extra noise and the rear case fans quieted down a whole lot and stopped that up and down cycling.

My 600 got so hot one summer day that the board fried while gaming. Dell replaced it but I was still never happy with that system. It was loud, hot and in the same style of case.
Just not a good case for gaming systems.

473 Posts

September 10th, 2007 21:00

I installed a X1950Pro on my Gen2 and it is still going strong, but when the room gets warm (80ish), the fans turn on and it is STILL loud.  There is quite a bit of dust in there - I may have to clean it out and maybe reapply thermal paste.
No Events found!